Should Nuns be able to preach?

I got into a little bit of a heated debate with my MIL over this. Her position is that the Priesthood is meant to be a direct line to the Apostles, and the Apostles are direct stand ins for Jesus. Since Jesus was a man, then a woman can not stand in for him. And since none of the Apostles were women she doesn't believe that this was Christ's plan.

To me this doesn't make any sense. There are plenty of female followers of Christ in the Gospel. None of them were at The Last Supper, but that was a Passover feast of traditional Jewish orthodox following. I feel like that had more to do with Jewish traditions than Christ's vision. The women were more present at the Crucifixion than the men were. Does that count for nothing? And what about Lazarus's sister who shares table with the men and discusses religion with them?

I don't get it. I think women should at LEAST be able to preach, even if they can't become Priests.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree 100% with your MIL.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Catholics view the Church as sort of a marriage with Christ as the head, the groom, and the Church itself as the bride. Since Priests are representing Christ in the role that they play within the Church, they must be male. This is one analogy used to explain why Priests are always men. Women hold positions of authority within the Church and in fact (IMO) do a whole lot as far as the everyday running of the Church and I doubt it would be just what it is today without them. They can participate during Mass, but they can't give the Homily. They can help with the readings and even with offering the Sacred Eucharist. They are not as limited as one might think they are.
    Anonymous

• Yes but why can't they preach? It just doesn't make sense. I'm not even arguing for Female Priests, I just don't get why they can't interpret and share the word of the lord. It don't get it.

As far as offering the the Sacred Eucharist, that's true, they can offer it - but they can't prepare it.
    Anonymous

• And what about the fact that historically women DID become Deacons and were able to preach?
    Anonymous

• The nuns that taught me in school sure did!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Religion and legalism and law has taught that woman are unable to preach and are inferior. Religion is very different than having a relationship with Christ. I belong to a church where woman preach and teach as well as the men too.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• They know as much as the men do and maybe more in some cases so I dont see why they cant preach.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I think they should
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• They are not allowed to preach the word in a Church, Assembly or Synagogue. But they are allowed to prophesy, and according to Yah, there will be many who do prophecy in the last days, men, women, and so on. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2010