Should DHR/CPS investigate the parents of a child whos over weight??

My girls aren't extremely overweight but would classify as overweight, but where should the line be drawn? What about children who are very skinny? And if the parents are investigated is the school where the child eats half of their meals going to be investigated as well? What are you views and thoughs?? Have you ever been reported because your kids were pleasently plump?

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 1:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Health

• No I don't think CPS should be called. I do thing that maybe they should have free classes in local communities that help people learn how to cook healthier. Sometimes a person just needs to tweak a few things to make the recipes they have a little healthier.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I think the system is SO overstressed right now with the cases they already investigate! Maybe if the child's pedi or somebody in that sort of role report them because they feel that they child is simply overweight due to the parent's negligence, but it certainly should be looked into medically first, and thoroughly at that. And there would have to be guidelines as far as HOW overweight the child is before things are taken to that level. As far as underweight, I think cases like that are already reported for suspected neglect.
    Anonymous

• I definately think they should be investigated. Its a form of child abuse- a child doesnt buy food and stock the pantry- a child doesnt take itself to places such as mcdonalds.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• There are so many concerns for our children now days. Every family is different culturally, socioeconomic status, race, geographically, etc... People need to look at the big picture. I understand the necessity to have healthy children and educated parents, but starting investigations are not the answer. I just remember growing up as a child where my mother rewarded us with food and smoked like a steam engine. There were times when we rode in the car (without seat belts and carseats), and there was such a fog in there we couldn't breathe! Education is the key, offered from the birth of each child. We don't have enough money now to educate our children, where would they find money to start another program to investigate all of these little children?
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• There is no such thing as a child who is pleasently plump. They are fat when they go to school kids make fun of them there is nothing pleasant about that.
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 1:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Pink, I've done daycare for over 25 years and a lot of the over weight children that have come through the center and my licensed program generally are not the ones eating at fast food places. Its the well fed ones that get the good home cooked meals from home. Seriously, not joking at all. Be careful who you are pointing your finger at. I could tell you stories of abuse if you want and feeding your child isn't one of them unless you are talking about the small majority of morbidly obese children. WIC and the doctors that these children are seeing regularly to get their check ups gradually watch this happen. They should also be held accountable then.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I meant minority not majority.
    Anonymous

• I would say no for most of the overweight situation. The only case I could think of were I think intervention is needed (not necessarily CPS) would be a case such as I caught on some show at the gym. Where a 10 year old is over 500 pounds. But it would have been my guess that there was a medical issue-

I'd like to see a way that parents can get some help or advice that does not include automatically calling cps as if they are criminals.
    Anonymous

• I was told i would be investigated if my children didnt gain weight.My 1 year old is 19 pounds born 8 pounds 9oz
    My oldest is 28 pounds born 7 pounds 4oz.My husband is 130 pounds.SKINNY and HE cant gain weight.No matter how much WE try to get him fat it doesn't work.Mean Drs. So I see no winning in either situation :/
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• hugsSorry... awelling I was tring to be sensitive

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2010