What would you do?

We have a neighbor who is one of our "friends" he is a laid off - self admitted alcoholic, horrible to his family but civil and polite to us. He has a Dog - a 75 lb black lab that basically LIVES in the house inside a box kennel -the dog can't even stand up tall - well, the last 2 nights this neighbor has kept the dog outside in its kennel.. but he's been barking non stop until 2-3 in the morning when he finally gives up and falls asleep, yesterday my husband mentioned maybe there was something wrong with the dog? if he was sick? the owner said "yeah, you know, I am not sure- I checked and he seemed fine" so last night, again, kept me and my husband up til 3am.. well, my husband talked to him today on the phone and said "hey, I don't know how else to say this but Nitro ( the dog) kept us up til 3am." and the owner sighed really loud out of irritation and said "Let me call you back" how else should we approach this?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'd call the humane society-doesn't sound like this dog is being taken care of.
    Anonymous

• Yes, find out what animal protection group there is in your area and call them.

Answer by Bmat at 1:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I would call your local pound and they can send someone out there to check on the dog make sure it is okay.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• That poor dog needs PROPER care. It sounds like the poor thing is being neglected. I can see a dog barking like that if he is left home alone for a weekend, and he misses his humans. But for it to be nonstop like that. That just isn't right. That man needs reported.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 1:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I agree. Call the humane society.
    If the man can't even take care of himself then there's no way he can care for an animal, let alone a possibly sick one.

If they don't do anything then call the police the next time he's barking all night and put in a noise complaint. Make sure you let them know that you've repeatedly asked your neighbor to do something about it and nothing has been resolved.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Yes, please call the humane society. I mean, the barking is annoying and you could always call the cops as I am sure there are noise ordinances, etc, but for the dog's sake call the humane society as well. I think it's the right thing to do. Unless you are the only neighbors there is no way for him to know it was you that called since I am sure the dog is heard by others as well.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2010