my son is having trouble with his bm's hes 5 months old six mo. in 3 days

hes hasnt had a poop in 3 days and then he just had one today and it was hard .. and his butthole was ripped and had scratches on it and red .. soo i put destin on it... but i was wondering why this happens at times ? if any one knows ... he gos to the doctor in a couple of day for his six month checkup ... but his diet consists of cereal with formula / sometimes fruit with it ... he doesnt like fruit very much... and then for lunch a veggie and formula ... and then for dinner he eat another veggie and formula ... yes i know formula can be constapating but my milk supply dried up 3 months ago on its own... soo if im doing something worng please tell me what you would do.. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• rice cereal is very constipating as well
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• When this happened with my daughter, I gave her some baby food prunes and a little rice cereal mixed with apple juice. If that didn't loosen her up for the next time, then I'd call the pediatrician.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• thank you keeley thats very helpful i will try this next time :)
    Anonymous

• Increase the liquid intake and decrease the cereal. Cereal is very constipating, and formula should be the majority of his intake all the way to the first birthday. Bottle, then solids.

If you *want* to investigate relactating, feel free to message me. A lot of moms are led to believe they've dried up when they actually only regulated. But YOUR CHOICE. Just giving you the option.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I would say it is the cereal too.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 5:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Try to drop the cereal. It can cause issues. And, offer water in a sippy with solid meals, and always bottle before solid feedings. Try to feed more foods that are higher in fiber.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• my daughter has problems going poop almost every week. they told me give her 1 oz prune juice. works like a charm. they told me do a reg bot and before it do the juice for 2bottles a day and they go by the next day
    bobowazhere

Answer by bobowazhere at 7:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Prune juice and pears! When my son starts getting hard-poo, I give him an ounce of prune juice, or some pears with each meal, and that loosens things up within a day or two. Just put the juice in with his formula (helps hide the taste).

I'd also guess it's the cereal, or could be apples or bananas! I heard the acronym BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast) - these tend to clog things up for kids, so are helpful with diarrhea but can cause constipation. You might consider keeping a food diary for your babe. As you add more types of foods to his diet, you will probably notice trends about which foods have what effect. Good things to know! If you find that a certain food has a strong effect on his digestion, talk to his doc. You may want to wait a month or more before re-introducing that food. Or if it's not too bad, you can start to combine foods in a meal or throughout the day so they have a more even effect on his digestion.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2010