my son is having trouble with his bm's hes 5 months old six mo. in 3 days

hes hasnt had a poop in 3 days and then he just had one today and it was hard .. and his butthole was ripped and had scratches on it and red .. soo i put destin on it... but i was wondering why this happens at times ? if any one knows ... he gos to the doctor in a couple of day for his six month checkup ... but his diet consists of cereal with formula / sometimes fruit with it ... he doesnt like fruit very much... and then for lunch a veggie and formula ... and then for dinner he eat another veggie and formula ... yes i know formula can be constapating but my milk supply dried up 3 months ago on its own... soo if im doing something worng please tell me what you would do.. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Mix more fruit in with the cereal. Prunes or apples will help. Add fruit at every meal. It's the cereal that's constipating. Maybe a little prune juice too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I agree that the cereal is probably what is binding him up- especially if it is rice cereal, so try more fruit or give him a bit of apple juice diluted with water, or prune juice. Don't add applesauce as more fruit because it is also binding (I know it's weird that applesauce can constipate and apple juice helps soften stool). Try adding prunes as the fruit, that normally helps the problem pretty quickly. And I don't think you're doing anything wrong, this is pretty normal at this age especially as new foods are being introduced. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• What type of cereal and fruit? Rice cereal can be very constipating, so can bananas. Try to increase the amount of fiber, water/juice/formula/fluids and fruits and veggies higher in fiber-apples, pears, prunes, green beans, peas, etc. Oatmeal or mixed grain cereal may be a better cereal option than rice if that's what he's been getting.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2010