Clingy 2 year old, whining 1 year old....loosing my mind!

Well im back at it again! My days at home just keep getting longer, and I keep getting more and more stressed!
My 2 year old, who will be 3 in August, is so clingy! She follows me EVERYWHERE and I do not get a minute to myself unless she decides to watch tv. I do not want to have her infront of the tv all the time, but its the only time I get a break! She constantly wants me to hold her, and when I dont she cries. I can not even go to the bathroom alone! I tell her that I am busy right now and will hold her in a bit, but she just yells at me. How can I get her to start doing things without me? On top of it all my 1 year old walks around the house whining all day long. 80% of her day consists of whining, if I pick her up she is fine for 2 minutes then wants down only to continue whining. I do not know why she does this and I go through the things she could want, but nothing helps, she seems to never stop. Any advice??!!

deftonespink

Asked by deftonespink at 2:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just tell you're two year old she needs to play by herself, you're reinforcing the cling by telling her you will hold her. you need to just tell her that you need to be alone. she won't hate you for it and she might cry but just let her cry...she'll get over it
    Anonymous

• To encourage your almost-3-year-old's independence, I would try to encourage her to do "big-girl" things she can only do by herself. Don't throw "big-girl" in her face, of course (like, "listen, you're too big to be with mommy all the time, big girls play alone"), but things like drawing with colored pencils that little sibling can't play with, up at the table, or some special "helping" time where you let her sweep a certain part of the kitchen or scrub down the coffee table with a dust cloth -- while you leave the room and do what you need to do. My daughter is a lot like this... but we've even started letting her get up a little earlier than the rest of us (she's up by 6 every morning), and get her cup of milk from the fridge, her cereal bar from the pantry, and push the "on" buttons on the tv and dvd players. I was so surprised she actually did it... she loves it, and I think it's made her more independent in general.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2010