Do you have "traditional" homemaking skills?

I feel so odd around other women of and around my generation (I am 24). They (and their spouses) always seem amazed to find that I do "all those old-fashioned things" (their words, not mine). I cook "from scratch" (I screw up boxed dinners for some reason LOL); I enjoy housework and know all the little tricks and natural cleaners; I can sew by hand and with a machine; I keep flowers and herbs and know how to use them for healing purposes; I have a tool kit and know how to use it; I can build a fence as easily as I can vaccum a carpet; etc....
Are such skills really so foreign to this generation? Sometimes I actually get "playfully" picked on for what I was always taught were admirable skills!

Do you have what seems to be thought of now as "old-fashioned" homemaking skills?

KarmicChild

Asked by KarmicChild at 2:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Karmic, its just jealousy. LOL you have skills some of us just wish we had. I love to do the cooking from scratch, and all of those things too but it comes easier to others. You are a special person, I hope your family appreciates all you do.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 2:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I knit, crochet, and do needlework. I hear all the time that people would never have the patience for it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• yeah, and i can do 'traditional' handyman skills too (like fixing things and rewiring light fixtures, etc.). i like to cook and garden. i can sew but don't need to usually. i don't enjoy housework, but i do it bc i enjoy living in a pigsty even less lol. i'm 30.... most people i know think it's great that i can do all that stuff though
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I agree it's jealousy.
    I have a few traditional homemaker skills but not nearly as many as you do! I wish I did though!

I can do basic knitting, crocheting, I can bake, I can (kind of) sew. I like to do crafts and make things and food from scratch.
    I also enjoy cleaning(most days) and know a few tricks.
    I'm also a stay at home mom so I have more time to do these things then I would if I was working.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• i was blessed with being an amazing cook. my parents always made home cooked food when i was growing up and i learned from them. even my experiments(recipes that i just make up to see how they'll turn out) alway end up amazing...not to mention i really enjoy cooking. but the skills i have with food i definitely lack in cleaning, primarily the dishes haha...my man does the cleaning cause i just hate it
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• oh and i'm 20
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• With the conviniences of life now a days people haven't had the "need" to cultivate traditional homemaking skills. I find that people with traditional homemaking skills seem to have better connections with thier children and families in general. Traditional "homemakers" tend to appreciate things more, as well as take pride in the "homemade" and physical work they preform. (Now before everyone get's thier panties in a twist, I wasn't trying to bash anyone's motherly skills or anything...!!! lol)
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 2:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I'm 24 as well, and I cook from scratch, sew a little, garden, etc..
    sandypops

• Right there with ya!

I'm as at home on a construction site as I am in my own kitchen (there is, by the way, NOTHING boxed in the house outside of dried pasta), I sew/knit/crochet/tat/macrame/quilt, throw clay, love to build things, I do tile work too... I an am avid organic gardener (though I have not been able to put one in this year, sadly, too many hours spent on home improvement- new house), and not a believer in western medicine...

I feel like a little old lady most of the time! hahaha! (oh, and I'm only 25)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to know how to do these things.
    Anonymous