Should a death certificate be issued when women have miscarriages and/or abortions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• As a mother who delivered a 24w stillborn child, I can definitely say that she was born. She never took a breath, never had her heartbeat outside of the womb. I had to have my child cremated within 2 weeks of giving "birth." Prior to 22 weeks she would have been "processed" with normal medical waste. *shrug* I got a picture, the ID card and bracelet they normally put on the baby and the baby's bed. I can't stand to look at the things, but I will always keep them. It is emotionally draining. But it's proof that I once had a baby I was to name Gwenyth. I miss not being mom to her. So do I need a death certificate? No. I just like having proof that she was even if it always feels like a bad dream.
    ..Red..

Answer by ..Red.. at 5:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• No.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• abortions no, miscarriage umm, depends on how far along they were, like past 12 weels when they have to remove the baby then yes. My BFF has to deliever her baby at 21 weeks and we had a funeral and everything.
    Anonymous

• no
    Anonymous

• no.... if you have a spontaneous abortion then why would you want a death certificate for your baby? i could see if it was a stillborn moreso than early on, but still i would not want one even if it was possible
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• yes
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Hmmm. It would create a new governmental revenue stream if people have to pay for copies of it...but of course, many won't want them. And it would require a couple more bureaucrats per county to run.

I think it wouldn't be cost-effective. And it wouldn't deter a single abortion. Nor would it do anything for those who have miscarriages.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• No, I don't think so.Abortion or miscarriage the baby doesnt even have a social security number yet.
    So as for a proof of death, I don't think that is necessary.
    However,maybe as a sentimental document stating that there was a human forming,to give to the parents that should be available if wanted.
    Anonymous

• Abortion, no...a late miscarriage, yes if the mother would like one.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• But like someone else said, I don't think anyone who got an abortion would even want a death certificate since the majority of them don't think they're killing anything.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2010