Where do I start!?!

We are moving soon, and I am putting in our 30 day notice today.

We need to start packing but where do I start?

I need tips... I've moved a lot in my life but we've never had this much stuff before!

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 2:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You start with things you rarely use. Even though we read a lot, I would start with my bookcases first. We can make do without those items for 30 days. Everyone's got kitchen items that only get used at holidays and special occasions, pack those up.

Pack up the off season clothing if your weather seems to be consistently into one season.

Have excess linens? Pack them up.

Now is a great time to clean out your medicine cabinet. Discard any old and expired medications.
    Go through and discard any old clothing you know you are never going to wear again.

If you are the kind of parent that rotates the kids toys, you can go ahead and pack up the toys not in use.

Anonymous

• Start with the stuff you don't use every day (book selves, pictures, etc.) as it gets closer pack more and more so you're down to the bare minimum of stuff that you need to keep out. And honestly, I've found that packing the kitchen LAST helps. LOL
    Anonymous

• I just went through a big move. Ugh, I feel your pain. Lol!

Leave your kids rooms til last.
    Make a list of everything you'll "need" over the next 30 days and leave that stuff for last.
    Go room by room and do a walk through. Make a list of what you can do without for the next month and pack those things up.

I made so many lists when I as packing up my place and it helped a lot.

Gut out as much as you can while packing.
    I had black garbage bags for garbage and green ones for stuff to donate to the thrift store.
    Moving is the perfect excuse to do a good clean out of stuff you no longer need or want.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• don't make a list-that will just add more stress- like the first said-pack things you don't normally use on a day to day basis. I started with yes pics on walls, books, dishes i don't normally use. small things around the house like decorations. We lived with boxes in our house for months before we actually moved.
    New2Florida

Answer by New2Florida at 2:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Lists worked for me. I feel less stressed out when I'm organized and making lists helps me organize.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• With one box.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2010