Does anyone else have a baby who won't take any crackers and gags alot?

I have an 11 month old baby. He won't eat crackers, potatoes, anything mushed without vomiting large amounts of formula. He won't do finger foods and I'm really worried. He will be 12 months in early May and he will be coming off formula so I'm worried he will loose weight because he is such a picky eater. He only eats fruits, yogurt and some types of cereal but is extremely picky about what I get or he won't eat that either. Anyone have a child that outgrew this?

momtoblake

Asked by momtoblake at 2:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 10 months old and he is such a gagger. he will even gag on his rice cereal if its got a lump in it. he gags on fruit. but he can eat soft pasta or speggati cut up into little pieces. have you tried that? i havent given him crackers yet, only biscuits and hes not too interested in them. i give him the gerber puffs that melt in his mouth, and the yogurt melts. thats how i taught him to chew. have you tried that? do the puffs first, then the yogurt melts.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Could he have a wheat allergy or something? I know some kids take longer to completely lose the reflex that causes their tongue to push food out of their mouth- maybe that is part of the problem. My daughter sort of had this and I felt she lagged behind somewhat in what she ate, now she is 18 months and eats pretty normally but still prefers some things to be mashed or pureed- like cooked carrots for example. I think it's a good sign that he is at least eating some solid foods, though, so try not to worry too much. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• My son gagged on all real food at that age. He is now 14 and has obviously outgrown it. Keep giving him baby food, he'll get there. The only real food he could eat without gagging was graham crackers because they melt in your mouth.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Puplulbutterfy...yes I've tried the puffs. I've tried the nibbler crackers. I've tried the yogurt melts with the same vomit result. I haven't tried soft pasta yet. I'll have to try that when I'm feeling really adventourous. I've bought all kinds of nibble treats but he doesn't want to put them in his mouth. He put plastic, wood, and everything else in his mouth except for food. So, I should be giving the pasta a try soon.

MaryMW...I also am getting the feeling that my son is lagging behind in what he eats. I feel like he is way behind the curve. However, I'm glad to hear your daughter has seem to outgrown this for the most part so that gives me some hope.

Mompam...I might try graham crackers. I haven't tried that yet. I'm not so sure about what foods I can give him as far as crackers. I know I can give him mashed things but that doesn't go so well. Perhaps he will like a graham cracker.

Thanks ladies!
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 3:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• My son learned to spit it out if he dont like it all on his own. He never gaged but I would say if you are worried ask his Doc about it at the 12 month checkup. My son only eats fruits, yogrut., and Vegie soup, spegehitti, and alfrado, he dont like trying new things, I tried to give him some hamburger the other day and he ate 2 bites then the rest was spit on the floor. With mashed potatoes try adding a little gravy for flavor not much that was the only way my son would eat them at first now he will eat them without it. Try braking down the puffs and feeding him they were to big for my son's small mouth at first so he would gag on them, Try making it alot smaller bits until he is very used to the texture to big of a bit or to hard of a food makes them gag.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• My DS was like that too. He out grew the gagging but he did need speech therapy for a couple years.
    Wendy_June

Answer by Wendy_June at 8:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• At this age, if he cannot eat anything, I would investigate the possibility that may need therapy; late eating (by "choice" not due to parent preference) and speech are frequently connected (I can remember the specifics) I would also have him tested for food allergies.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• At this age, if he cannot eat anything, I would investigate the possibility that may need therapy; late eating (by "choice" not due to parent preference) and speech difficulties are frequently connected (I can't remember the specifics; something to do with the mechanics involved with these two tasks) I would also have him tested for food allergies.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• My ds is a gagger. He's 22 months and not fully on table foods, but we've made a lot of progress in the last 6 months. He has an oral hypersensitivity, which causes him to be extremely picky about the texture of his foods. It's considered a Sensory Integration Disorder, but it's "curable" (for lack of a better term lol). We're currently working with a speech and an occupational therapist.

This is a great site that has information, such as symptom checklists, resources, ideas for things that you can do to help the situation, etc.

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/oral-sensitivities.html
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 10:24 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Thank you so much for the website. I do believe my son may need some type of speech therapy when the time comes. He is 11 months and doesn't even address myself or my husband as mama or dada. He is still babbling and doesn't know any words. I just feel like in many ways he is still so far behind. He doesn't eat well as in foods other babies his age are eating, he doesn't know any words at all, and he still doesn't self feed with the bottle. He is almost a toddler yet he is still in infant stages. Of course, this leaves me concerned, but what can I do but seek out health care professionals who can deal with these issues. Thank you all for your input.
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 1:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2010