How do I move my son's bedtime later? He sleeps too early!

I need some advice on how to move my son's bedtime later - aiming for 6-7PM. My 8 month old goes to bed between 4-5 PM. He's been doing this since he was 4mo old. Luckily, he has been mostly sleeping well at night, (up btw 3-4 AM to eat) and then typically woke up around 6-7 AM. He naps reasonably well during the day and is a champion eater.

His doc said that I should stop the middle of the night feeding, because baby is getting enough food during the day and needs uninterrupted sleep. Seb gave up the night-time meal fine but now he's getting up hungry around 4:30 AM (his last bottle was at 4:00 PM) and stays up! He won't go back to sleep! When I try to move his bedtime later, so he can eat later at night and sleep longer without being hungry, he just gets really tired, starts having trouble sleeping well at night, and it all spirals from there.

Any advice? It would also be nice to have more time with him at night...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do it a little bit at a time. Just start putting him to bed ten minutes later one night, then another ten minutes later a couple nights later and so on.
    If it's a gradual change then it will be easier on him and he wont get over tired and be more difficult to get to sleep.

If he does fine with bedtime being ten minutes later then maybe try 15 minutes later the next night, or even 20 minutes later. That's what I did for my son and it worked out.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• my DS didn't give up night nursing till 11 mos.
    if it is working for you, ignore your dr
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Ignore the doc! Babies get the sleep they need, and if he's waking for a feed he NEEDS it. Nobody on earth gets uninterrupted sleep...we just don't typically recall the wakeups.

Nothing here needs fixing, really...don't go breaking it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Move the bedtime 15 minutes every few days. That should work.
    Anonymous

• I would do the gradual approach too, or wake him up about an hour into his nap. Mine took a late afternoon siesta from like 5-6 and then was up long enough to take a bath, eat and change into pjs for nighttime. He might need just enough sleep to get him through. Or have you thought about moving his afternoon nap later (I'm assuming he's still take a morning and afternoon nap?) so he doesn't need that 3rd nap or to go to bed quite so early?

Answer by missanc at 6:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2010