No experience with CPS, what should I expect?

My daughter was sexually assaulted several years ago. She is only now willing to go to counseling and would never speak to the police previously. The counselor has informed me that by law (rightly so) social services and the police will be informed, as she is a minor. What exactly can I expect from social services? We have a nice home, no police records for either parent, and no one hurts her in any way in our home, but I have no idea what to expect. I do not want them to cause her any further emotional upheaval if I have any say about it. We were not involved in her assault in any way. I just have no idea what to expect having never had contact with them in any way, shape, or form in the past.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I used to be a CPS case worker. Since the assault didn't occur in the home or by a family member, CPS will get in, write up a report, and get out. Their job is to take care of kids that are abused in the home or by family members. This is clearly not a CPS case and they have too many cases to deal with to want to spend much time on your situation.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• OP.....we did contact an attorney when we found out of this situation, never did they suggest calling social services. We followed their instructions to the T and obtained a restraining order against the individual that was at fault, but since she refused to speak with the police, no charges were filed against him....just to give a little background.
    Anonymous

• well i was never assaulted or anything so it may be different.
    but usually CPS will just come in, look around a little bit, ask you some question, ask her some question. they may talk to her DR or school guidance counseler.. things like that.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• When I went through all that (15 yrs ago, in Ca.) I don't remember CPS being called. I do remeber that my councelor told me that by law she is obligated to tell the Police the name of the person and that would be the only time police would be notified, if they have a name.

It was just a lot of the same questions asked over and over again by different people. Some may have been CPS workers but I really don't know. No one ever came any searched the house or anything just asked everyone in the family questions, all one on one.

If you need someone to talk to message me. I went through the whole thing, from counceling through trial. ((HUGS))
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• You are not technically under investigation- you are a part of one. They are not there to scrutinize you, but to help your daughter. Just be yourself, and be honest. That is the absolute best thing you can do.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• If this case did not happen in the home by a caretaker then cps will come in make sure your doing what you should (counseling) and close the case. They will not stick around in a case like this unless you the parent are doing something that is contributing to the abuse. Doesn't sound like you are so they should just come in ask a few questions and be on their way.
    Anonymous

• My only experience with CPS is when we were adopting our son (we had visits from them, as well as our adoption agency - long story). I can tell you that their main interest is safety. It sounds like they already know that your family was not the cause of the problem. Unless they see something glaringly obvious, like a big hole in the living room floor that a kid could fall through, I would think you have nothing to worry about. Just be helpful in whatever way you can and support your child during the interview.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Your child will probably have to go through a video taped interview with police and/or CPS. She may have to talk to testify in court unless the perpetrator takes a plea agreement. You're not being investigated, but your daughter will probably be interviewed about it.
    Anonymous

• As I have several run ins with CPS I have come to find that as long as you show that they intimidate you to where they can see it as you are thrying to hide something and your daughter answers thier questions with no problem and truthfully then there shouldn't be no problem. CPS is brought in because of the nature of the situation you are doing the right thing upon finding out about it by taking her for counseling which is in your favor there with CPS. I as a survivor of sexual abuse for many years went through the same process and as then I thought I was the one who was in trouble I wasn't ...reassure her she is the victim and the person who did this to her is the monster and that she shouldn't be afraid to say anything to them they are there to help and get this person off the streets. I myself put away my uncle for four years for it and I am better for it I am not afraid any longer . She will be ok so will u.
    LovingMom210

Answer by LovingMom210 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Just answer their questions as completely as you can and as honestly as you know how to be and all should be fine. Remember, they are just trying to help. They certainly want to do whatever is easiest for them and best for the child. Don't look at them as 'out to get me' but as an extension of the police--trying to do what is best for the victim. I am just so sorry your child even has to deal with this. It makes me sick to think that people are hurting children with no remorse whatsoever! Very little punishment when they do get caught. I know some people will think you should have contacted the police anyway, but don't let them brow beat you! No matter what decision you made about that, if it was in the best interest of YOUR CHILD, then it was the RIGHT decision!! At least she told you! So many don't. Hugs and prayers for healing!!

SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 8:03 AM on Apr. 9, 2010