When did you realize your family was different?

I realized recently that young children seem to think that all families operate just like theirs. For instance, my nephew once thought all parents lived apart, because his parents divorced when he was three. This made me realize that I once thought my classmates families' did the same things mine did. In my case, that meant working with exotic animals, and taking part in pre-Civil War historical re-enactments on the weekends! That was normal to me. To this day I have to laugh when I realize I STILL get confused at first when people raise an eyebrow when I describe my childhood! LOL

When did you realize that your family unit and/or family activities were different from other childrens'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I knew at a very young age that not all dads yelled at little kids, and that things were just "crazy" sometimes. but of course even then I was told I was "crazy" the "drama queen" thats a sore spot to me to this day and I am 37. its called crazy making behavior-when someone KNOWS a situation is diff but others around them insist its THEM, not the situation. so yep I knew very early on not all families were like mine. tho I would have loved to be able to say we had exotic animals lol. how fun! :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Mine is now because we have to revolve around my son who is autistic. There are alot of things he can't do or handle yet,so we're limited in our life. Its better than it used to be,but its still hard because most people just refuse to acknowledge the fact or accept it. It hurts more than you could ever imagine to be on the outside looking in most of the time.When I was a kid I figured all kids had dads that only saw them for 30 min 3 times a year.When I was 10 it was pointed out to me that we were on welfare,it wasn't my dad's support payments that we lived on,and from then on I felt like less than everyone else around me.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Real early. Being around so many other families let me know early. Before I even started school, I would spend the night at my friends house, she is Vietnamese, so, I knew even food and language could be WAY different.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I was the kid that was happy my parents broke up lol. people thought I was weird. When my parents would go out to dinner people would be like"they are gonna get back together!" I said nope they WILL not.They never did,they were just good friends lol.Home life was better with 2 different homes :)
    Anonymous

• Im 07 They separated when i was 3
    Anonymous

• I knew as soon as I started school. I was forced to go to a catholic school. Everyone else was from families that were better off than us. I didn't know it, until the kids would point and laugh and say we were poor. I never felt poor. And really I don't think we were. My dad worked three jobs and paid our tuition. We were a big family and didn't buy brand name stuff, but we were not poor. I hated school and told my parents I would never go back after third grade, and I didn't.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• pretty early on in life that they were all different. then realized say when i was about 15 that they all are crazy and have problems also it isn't only mine
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• When I was about 11 yo, I began to realize everyone's family weren't all the same. I remember saying to a friend that I get agrivated when my dad did (whatever it was) and the friend said her dad didn't do that. We started comparing families. It was interesting to hear what they did vs what we did.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• When I was kicked out of the group at 16 I went to an Aunt's house that left a few years earlier. That's when I realized my family was in a cult and the world wasn't like it was at home. I also never knew married couples shared a room! My parents never did, and still don't.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 3:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Like TMJ121009, we realized our family was different when our son's autism was diagnosed. We live on 4 words~ Structure, Schedule, Order and Patience. Now that he's older, it's a little better, because he's mature enough now that he understands changes in his routine better, and doesn't get as upset.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2010