Do you think home school for H.S. is a good idea for bad kids?

My friend pulled her 15 & 16 yr olds out of public highschool. One for ditching and failing grades the other simply for failing due to lack of effort. She has enrolled then in a charter h.s. where they work at home and only have to check in once a week. She is not a 'hands on' tyoe mom so I doubt they will be getting any schooling attention from her. Do you think this was a good move?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• At highschool level, kids are going to learn what they want. I really don't think it will matter if they are homeschooled or not. kinda like the quote "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink"
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• OP here. excuse the typo please - oops
    Anonymous

• I think it would help my 14 y/o alot. He doesn't make good grades because he doesn't like the teachers, not because he isn't smart or laks discipline. He also can't concentrate in class with any noise, so, at home on the computer, he would finish in no time and probably make better grades. I have thought about trying it. Depending on her kids, it might be the best thing for them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It would be a great move if she were hands on and committed to their success. If she is the reason they are in this situation in the first place, then it is only going to make things worse.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• That is what "alternative" school is for.

HS should only exist for those who are too ill to attend public school.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I don't think you know enough about her or her family to pass judgment, and we know even less.
    Anonymous

• Probably not if the mom is not involved at all but you never know it might be better this way. I will be homeschooling my children till the day they graduate. I will be the one teaching them not a computer or atleast not right away cause I like to be more hands on instead of my kid sitting at a computer all day. Once they get a little older thats fine.
    Anonymous

• I failed at high school because of my peers and the teachers....I am not one to learn from a book but from a computer learning does me wonders...I have ADD, thatt is why.
    If there would have been computers 25 years ago I would have excelled in high school
    Anonymous

• if her kids are having touble paying attention in school I doubt they will at home when they have so many other things to get their attention ( tv, the internet, etc) ......

we were moving alot (dads job) when i was in 9-10-11 grade...in 10th grade I did online classes instead of starting a new school......I was a straight A student in school and then I got so bored with doing it on the computer and other things held my attention more ( cleaning, sleeping , tv, the net) ...that I barely even did the work after a few months and basically failed it all.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 3:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• This is not "homeschooling" it's home-bound education through a school and it's different. homeschoolers have different resources available and can get a quality education. If these kids were doing badly in school I doubt anything will change at home.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2010