What can we do to stop the kids bullying and violence?

There is ALOT of this happening lately!I think the community should get together and find ways to deal with this issue.I don't know how to go about getting this started.Any ideas or suggestions? There was a group of 5 kids who came to our home and attacked my 15yr.old daughter(she was all alone),and the legal system is only giving the kids 8hrs.community service with 3months probation.They are still harrasing her at school and around town.Something needs to change!!!My daughter has been healing physically real well,but the mental abuse still continues for her and other kids here.

cintra

Asked by cintra at 3:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• So sorry to hear what your daughter has had to endure. I think it all starts with the parents.....
    Anonymous

• There are so many parents that are not involved in their kids life,or don't set rules for them.Sometimes the parents are so busy with work or out of town,that the kids are own their own.And they may be striving for attention.That may be some of why they act out.That still doesn't make their bad actions ok.Parents need to wake up and care!!!!
    cintra

Answer by cintra at 3:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I am so sorry about your daughter...I personally would file civil suits against each of those kids ( well their parents) ...... I dont think there is a right answer for how to end bullying, because it has always been that way...even in the middle ages....
    Anonymous

• When I was a teen there was a group of girls that hated me and bullied me to know end, they even came over to threaten me at my house. What made it stop was a woman I was babysitting for stepped in and acted like a big sister. She called each girl and told them to stop bullying me or she was going to go directly to the parents. It worked for me, the girls stopped bullying me physically, but they still talked about me but I didn't care as long as I didn't have to run and hide every time I was in school.
    Why don't you just home school your daughter. It is Hell to be in school when kids are mean....imagine going to work and your coworkers were bullying you and you couldn't get a moments peace. A kid can't learn when under the stress of peers.
    I know you feel bad for her but really try to put yourself in her shoes. If your a SAHM...then get a job at the school working in the lunch room or as an Aide.
    Anonymous

• Thank you to all who have responded.I may have to file civil suits.My daughter just wants this to all go away.I feel helpless at times.And it really scared me to think that it could have been my 15yr.old on the news who killed herself because of bullying!I want to be very protective,but try not to be too much.I thought about homeschooling her.
    cintra

Answer by cintra at 3:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It sounds funny but maybe your daughter should do martial arts my son was bullied and this built up his confidence and helped him. I think I taught them being bullied is not okay and this reinforced it for him as well as helped him deal with people who bully. I am sorry for what your daughter has gone through but also get her a copy of The Art of War this teaches strategy and also will teach her how to deal with people who bully as well.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• what about an intervention?
    call the school counsler and have her do an intervention. My daughter was bullied and the school counsler spent the day resolving the conflicts and it worked out very well
    Anonymous

• Listen Mama, I have been where you are now. You get up to that school WITH a lawyer and you demand they do something. YOU tell them quote "I will not bury my child because YOU did not do enough" And yes you start the legal process to sue the bullies parents. I am speaking out of emotion so let me back up. Get the lawyer first and let them advise you on how to make this stop. Your DD should not have to leave school because some kids are so damn mean. But you could always home school her and take her for extra curricular activities at community centers or YWCA's. If you keep her in the same school then get her in activities in another school district or the community ASAP. Remind her over and over again that it is NOT her fault, SHE is not the problem. We got lucky with our district. They have a ZERO tolerance for bullies and they expel them if they are repeat offenders. Hang in there Mama.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• First let me say I'm so sorry your DD had to go through that. It really is the parents not being on top of things. We can't control everything our children do. But if every single time they do something serious like this we are taking away their stuff. Making them apologize as we apologize to the parents I feel it would help. If everyone thought about how they would feel on both sides of the fence it would help us to solve the issue. No matter what side you've been on we can stop it by not tolerating the behavior. By not letting people get away with the kids will be kids comment.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It helps if the PARENTS teach their children to NOT harass or bully others. A lot of times, the bullies learn the behavior from their parents. Civil suits aren't going to do anything.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2010