Should Teachers be paid based on performance or experience?

The Florida Legislature is on the verge of passing some of the most sweeping education changes in the nation. But questions remain about whether Gov. Charlie Crist will sign the bill.

It would phase out teacher tenure and pay based on experience, and replace it with a system based on student progress on standardized tests and evaluations from principals and peers.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Florida’s GOP lawmakers say they’ve been inspired by President Obama’s “Race to the Top” program. But the proposal has teachers picking up protest signs.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• eek.....i dont know. that sounds a bit scarey because it is not all the teachers fault if a child performs poorly on a standardized test. there is a lot that goes into it. i understand what they are probably trying to do, but i dont know if i feel comfortable with it.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Sounds good to me.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• i think a combination of both
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• LOL There are many people who can't teach worth a hill of beans but have been teachers for years. I don't believein teachers teaching to the test either but the teachers who can teach a child so that they actually learn is what we should be strive for in all of our schools.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• i dont know. that sounds a bit scarey because it is not all the teachers fault if a child performs poorly on a standardized test. there is a lot that goes into it.

But if the MAJORITY of children in a teacher's class are performing badly???? No one is talking about just ONE child... Performances are based on the majority of children a teacher is responsible for educating.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• both, but you can't measure the teachers performance, by the students sucess....because a childs sucess isn't just about the teacher.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 3:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• yes
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I think there should be a base pay based on years of teaching. If you want the merit pay, do the work to get it. But, the merit pay is based on students' scores. If I have a very high functioning group, I don't have to do much. These kids will get the scores. If I have a lower functioing group, I can teach my butt off and be very creative doing a great job, but the students' don't score well. I am punished because students don't test well. That isn't merit pay. That is me being blamed for nature. This is where this concept becomes cloudy.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I think local municipalities and states have a right to base their criteria on their individual needs. I don't agree with standardized testing, but I do agree with overall educational performance. Whether it is the development/learning of children in one school year or different children under the direction of an educator over a period of (example) 5 years. Teachers need more evaluation on their teaching ability. Some teachers cannot handle gifted students. Some cannot handle special needs. Teachers need to be evaluated to better help the children. I also support local and state government's holding parents accountable to the education of their children.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2010