how could I get my cat to stay off the counter?

I can't get my cat to stay off the counters and table, I think its gross when people let theyre pets on the counters ect.. His old owners must have let him do it or something.. I tried a spray bottle and squirting him, but no luck.. I dont know why he jumps up there, he has his own bed and I allow him on the furniture.. Any one else have this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Pets

• I did with my cat. There was nothing I could do to keep him down. He would even get on top of the fridge. He finally outgrew it when he was about 7.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• any cat we ever had, my mom never wanted them on the counters. she would yell and swat them off... they learned.
    Anonymous

• Keep your counter tops covered with sheets of foil 24/7. Don't smooth it out, just lay it over. They hate the sound/feel of it when they jump up there. This worked like a charm for my mom. You won't have a pretty looking counter top for a few days, but it's worth it.
    Anonymous

• You can use painter's tape (the blue kind) make loops of it and stick them to your counters. When they jump up it is sticky and they don't like that. Once they don't get on the counters anymore you can take the tape down.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 4:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Slap it
    cheribabii613

Answer by cheribabii613 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• hittting an animal much like a child rarely solves the problem and usually casues another. especially a cat. they will get back at u when u least expect it in ways that u cant even imagine. the tape and the foil r very good ideas that actually do work. good luck. and remember to have him/her neutered if it hasnt already been done.
    emily1234

Answer by emily1234 at 12:06 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I'm going to try the tin foil, tape idea, I hope it works!! Yes he's already neutered.. Thanks for all the answers Ladies :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Wax the counter! :) Just kidding...

Tape, for sure.
    hiddenstrength

Answer by hiddenstrength at 2:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2010