If you have the money and it isn't hurting anyone, why is it a bad thing to go "all out" on your kids for their birthday?

My family makes me feel bad because I love throwing big, fun parties for my DD. They tell me "she wont remember" and "you don't have to do so much" etc. I'm not going broke by throwing big parties, I don't borrow money from them to do the party, I don't make them feel bad when they have little (or big) parties. I just feel like it is her special day and if I want to do a big party for her, why in the world is that a bad thing?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Probably because your outdoing the rest of the family lol
    Anonymous

• Its not a bad thing. Dont let them get to you. Just smile and say you just love doing it and move on. I like bday parties too!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I don't know why because you want to spend that money and have it as a bad thing. I say have fun and if you can afford it. They go ahead. It is amazing how much they do remember.
    Anonymous

• It isn't...go for it. I am happy you can. I did for my son. Not so much now..but, he is 14. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I spend and do a lot for my kids birthday I think if you can do it you should
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 4:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I agree. When I have extra money I spend it on doing things for my kids to make them happy.

If it's fun and not hurting anyone then who cares. They may not remember it but they will look at pictures when they're older and feel pretty good.
    :)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• We spent a little over 300 not including presents for our sons 4th bday.

I personally want to kind of settle down a little with how much I spend, so I don't set a high expectation. I think if you have the $ there is nothing wrong with going all out. I LOVE throwing parties. I throw kids halloween parties too. It's just fun.

One thing that could backfire is your kid could eventually want more and more and more. Even then though you have the say in what happens. :D

You're not bad at all! We should swap party ideas sometime :D
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• We are going all out for my daughter's 15 birthday..it's a tradition for me, her party is probably going to cost about 10-15K and some of the friends we've told think we are stupid for spending that much money on a party but to me is more of the tradition, and what it meant to me when I had mine, I want her to also experience it. I don't see a problem with it, they are your kids!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Go all out. Who cares what anyone else thinks??
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 7:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Maybe some day you won't be able to afford to do as much, and she will expect it because that's what she is used to. Maybe tone it down a little so that you don't raise her expectations too high or spoil her.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2010