Are SAHMs selfish?

Some say that we are taking away the privilege of taking care of the children from the Fathers who would love to stay at home with the children but can't because they have to work to provide. Should we seek to become working mothers to give our husbands the honor to stay at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I will be a SAHM starting tomorrow. I do not feel selfish in the least. DH and I discussed this in full detail and he took a job with alot more pay for reasons other than allowing me to stay at home. Before it was that we shared in staying at home (I went to work when he got home) so we have both gotten to experience it.
    I think he is thrilled that he will no longer be expected to help with the housework and will get to spend his time home having real quality time with our son.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 5:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I've tried to go out and get a job. My husband doesn't want me to at all. Plus, if I left the kids with him all day, I'd come back to a trashed home, filthy kids and him sleeping or on his X Box. I think I'll continue being "selfish".
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• mothers inheritly have the coping capabilities (moreso than men) to handle the pressures of a home and family. I'm not trying to put down men, but the majority couldn't handle it. They have thier own special talents and capabilities that women aren't able to handle...
    Did you know statistically men are paid more than women?...Just FYI
    Anonymous

• No. Furthermore, I think we should not let people tell us how to run our families. If a couple decides the wife stays home, fine. If they decide the dad does, fine. For whatever reason they choose which of these is their business. On a side note, I know of dads who stay home because the mom makes more money. I don't know personally, and never have, a man who would actually stay home just because he wanted time with his kids. Not to say men don't love their kids but I don't think most men want to be a SAHD even if mom could be the breadwinner.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• There are dads who stay at home with the kids and moms who work.
    Does that make the dads who stay home selfish?

It's whatever works for each individual family.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 5:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• My hubby and I tryied it for 4 months I worked after he got laid off. He hated it. He just sat around and did nothing. He missed being out and working. He also made more then I did. I missed being home and hated that when I got home I would have to do more work. It sucked for those 4 months.
    Anonymous

• My husband does not want me to work. The last time I did our daughter died. So now I stay home and he does what ever it takes to make ends meet. No SAHM are not all selfish
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 5:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• My house would burn down by the end of the first week. I can leave for an hour and come back to a war zone. We made the decision together that I would stay home. So no, not selfish.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• NO, SAHM's are NOT selfish. We give up our careers, friends, getting out of the house (away fom the kids), etc.

WE stay and clean, cook, watch the kids, do the laundry, get bored at times, tired, etc.

We Stay At Home and take care of the kids when they/we are sick.

We sacrifice A LOT. It is not an easy job.

Whoever make the most money (salary) should got to work (wife or hubby). It only makes sense. IF you can afford to do it, why not?

I would not change a thing though! LOL!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't change it. My DH doesn't have the patience to deal with the kids all day everyday alone. He gets stressed out just the weekends I go out of town to work with my dad. He loves them, but his patience level is alot lower than mine
    Anonymous