are fruit smoothes good for my 17 month old?

im making bannana, blue, black, red and straw berry smoothies for my self and giving them to my son. someone told me thats bad for a toddler. whats do yall think?

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 5:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They are GOOD for your child. Kids under one (1) year old should not drink them. Kids over a year can eat honey. You should not give a child under one year old honey period.

Otherwise, it is OK to give s small should a fruit smoothie, why not? Homemade is best. Just do not give him/her a very large portion. Kids tend to fill up on liquids, they need solid foods.

A smoothie is a GOOD thing usually fresh ingredients. Enjoy!
    Anonymous

• Sounds healthy to me, my son loves them
    MiddletonFamily

Answer by MiddletonFamily at 5:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Depends on what you put in it. Most commercial smoothies have a lot of sugar added to them, but if you're making them at home and not adding any extra sugar then it's fine!

Answer by missanc at 6:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• What else is in them? I make fruit smoothies for my kids that are fruit & a little bit of 100% juice only - no dairy, no sweeteners of any kind, just the fruit. They are extremely good for them, because they're getting more fruit in than if they had to eat it whole. They'll eat have a 12oz or bigger glass and ask for more when it's gone! I use fresh fruit that I've picked in the summer and frozen - strawberries, blueberries, plus mangoes, kiwis, bananas, etc.
    Anonymous

• Oh - I also put carrots in ours, and sometimes a big handful of fresh spinach. Kids have no clue it's in there (they know, but don't taste it). I also put in an avocado to get some healthy fat in them (they are thin) and help make it a bit creamier.
    Anonymous

• We just do a mix of berries or mangoes with bananas, plain yogurt, and, if the fruit isn't really in season and therefore isn't sweet enough, we'll add a touch of oj concentrate (like a small spoonful) and ice. If the fruit is juicy enough, no fruit juice is needed. It's great for anyone over 12 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2010