Expanding health coverage busted state budgets. Will it bust the federal budget too?

The Affordable Care Act—otherwise known as ObamaCare—isn't the first attempt to expand health insurance coverage in America. Before Washington passed its law, a number of states took smaller-scale cracks at the job—each of which proved far more expensive than planned. As the nation dives further into debt, the destabilizing fiscal effects of those programs don't bode well for how ObamaCare will shape the U.S. budget.

Educate yourself and read this article.
http://reason.com/archives/2010/04/07/health-cares-history-of-fiscal

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 5:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• HCR will be more expensive than predicted, because the predictions were based on optimistic guesses, not facts. Not to mention there will be plenty of items tagged onto it in the coming months, it's so open-ended and politicians love pork.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I don't "educate" myself on yellow journalism articles. Find something from Fox, AP, CNN, a reputable state/city newspaper and I would be happy to "educate" myself on something that makes sense and offers something we smart folks call actual responsible unbiased journalism.
    Anonymous

• I don't have to.I have what is called common sense and TN tried it back in the 90's and it failed big time.. the result? It almost bankrupted the state.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Is wsj reputable enough for you? Facts are facts no matter where they come from.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703298004574455560453947646.html
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• he discusses that in this article tn.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• as far as I can tell this is not a reputable site- I'm getting pretty tired of these claims myself.
    Anonymous

so read the other site or is it only reputable when it comes from huffpo or dailykos??? The author of the article is well published in many reputable magazines.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• There are plenty of sources for these facts. Anon, you can research and draw your own conclusions, or you can make your own opinion without any facts at all.

Personally, I prefer to be well-read.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

In other words, you can't dispute the facts.
    Anonymous

So, instead of whining about the source, why don't you prove the source wrong? Whip out your facts, let's go! :o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2010