Do you Think A Breastfeeding class is necessary for breastfeeding?

I am pregnant with my second child and i am planning on breastfeeding at first this time before i switch to formula. I signed up for a breastfeeding class. Do you think it is necessary to understand how to breastfeed?

MamaHardy2008

Asked by MamaHardy2008 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I learned so much from a breast feeding class. I would recommend it. There are so many things to know in order to do it right such as make sure your entire nipple & aerola (spelling?) are in the baby's mouth and even the way you hold the baby. The class was tremendously helpful.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because many mom's erroneously quit under lack of knowledge and no support.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• yes! I was so overwhelmed when my milk came in and I was trying to depend on a book to tell me what to do.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 5:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I had a lactation specialist talk to me for about 1 min. in the hospital with my first child............. that is all I needed.
    Anonymous

• Depending on your hospital & the specialists they have on hand, you may not get the help you need at the hospital. After my first child was born, he wouldn't latch correctly at the hospital, and he was very hungry that first night. The nurse gave up and told me she'd send a specialist in the morning. I couldn't believe she just abandoned me! I sat there for two hours until my baby finally latched on correctly and ate. I wasn't about to give up during the first night! I was glad to have the knowledge I had from the class.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It might be helpful, especially if this is your first time breastfeeding. It might give you some ideas about what to expect and how to handle certain problems that might arise. If you don't take a class at least get a video or a book to familiarize yourself with how it works. You won't actually learn how to really do it until after your baby is born, but some preparation will lower the learning curve.

I wasn't prepared before my first child was born, and I had a really tough time in the beginning. The second time I did go to a class because I was very nervous about breastfeeding twins; the class really didn't help me with that, but I think it would have been helpful had I taken it before my first child's birth. The lactation consultant at the hospital where my twins were delivered was very helpful, and I highly recommend asking for as much help as you can get while you are in the hospital.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2010