An Arkansas Teen sues Mom fro Facebook Harrassment? Thoughts?

http://www.fastcompany.com/1609967/arkansas-teenager-sues-mom-for-facebook-harassment?partner=homepage_newsletter
I will post clickable link in post.

Shaneagle777

Asked by Shaneagle777 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I swear the government is just taking more and more of the parenting out of the parents hands. But if your kids screw up and do wrong, its the parents fault. What the hell is this world coming to
    Anonymous

• some moms are whacked.
    Anonymous

• If I accidentally left myself logged in...and my mom found it, she would do the exact same thing...and I am 33. lol I would be pissed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• wow i would have done the same damn thing as the mom, the kids left it open
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• so if I understand correctly, the mom passed herself off as her son in these conversations?
    no, I don't think this is OK.
    First off, she didn't have custody, so the matter is a bit gray.

If she can't figure out a way to know what's going on with her son other than snooping, that's pretty sad.
    Anonymous

• Why the hell this case ever made it this far is a mystery to me. Seriously, are there not bigger problems in that town? Guess not. I really can't be on the boy's side on this. Maybe if the writer, someone obviously wanting to relive his teenage years, had a son driving 95 mph because he was mad at a girl, would have a different opinion. It would be interesting to know what else the young man was doing that didn't make it into the paper.
    Anonymous

• anon:44, if you had read the article, she does not have custody of her son. I agree with it him taking the actions he did because of what she did. How would you have felt at 16 if your mother had done this to you? Only 4 years ago, I was 16 and I know what a lack of privacy is at that age. There is a limit to what you should do. 16 is a part of the crucial age where a teen is developing their own personality and sense of who they are and when a parent flat out invades that, its a big blow. I know from personal experience. As a parent, you should develop a trust with your teen and hope that they will come talk to you about the things going on in their life. There is a difference between becoming their friend on facebook and flat out snooping while logged on to THEIR personal account. A teenager needs to learn and make their own mistakes or it will later become difficult for them to make their own decisions. Cont'd.
    mysteriousdaze

Answer by mysteriousdaze at 6:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Sheltering your teen from the realities of life makes it more difficult for them to be adults when they go out on their own. However, rules do need to be set, such as knowing who they are with, how late they will be out things like that but never ever take away your child's privacy!
    mysteriousdaze

Answer by mysteriousdaze at 6:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I have access to both my teens accounts, I rarely go on to check but they both are aware that I can do that. I think if they are aware that is different than what this mother did.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2010