what would you think if you saw a craigslist ad that said something like this

Single mom unable to find a job. Facing eviction willing to do yard work, clean your house, babysit your kids in exchange for help to pay my rent. Not asking for a ton of money just something that I can put towards rent so we wont be out on the street.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• i would think the mother was in deire need
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I would think that some one was down on their luck and also looking for a handout. I think the whole paying rent part should be taken out so it looks like you are just trying to get paid for work.

"I am a single mother struggling financially. I have not been able to find employment and am in need of some sort of work to pay my bills. I have many skills that may be an asset to you such as cleaning, yard work, babysitting, tutoring, etc. I am not looking for a handout. Just work. My children and I will be very grateful. Thank you."
    Anonymous

• sounds like she realy needs work. Whats your point?
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 5:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• OP Here---I would be the one posting this and wanted to know what kind or response I would get.
    Anonymous

• I would think that I would be able to get away with paying them very little. Sorry but it sounds very desperate which might be the case but if you want to maximize your income I would market myself a little bit differently.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 6:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Well if I saw it and had some extra cash I would for sure have her come do some yard work and house cleaning for me
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 6:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• My honest opinion would be that it was some kind of scam.
    Anonymous

• :58 worded it best.

Now I would find it hard to let someone who needs it so badly in my home. I would feel you would try to rip me off. Just saying.
    Anonymous

• I would think that you have to be extremely careful doing something like this. Many years ago, I had an Aunt who was always trying to sell stuff to make money. She would always put ads in the local paper, people would call her to come look at her stuff. One day, this man came to her house. He mentioned that he noticed she put ads in the paper quite frequently and that he felt she must be in need to a way to make money. He said that he had an idea of a way to make the money she needed. Needless to say, he asked her if she was interested in sex for money. I say this because that was many years ago. Imagine what type of creeps patrol sites such as Craigslist, looking for victims these days. Please be careful.
    Anonymous