so why not breastfeed?

I came from a family where everyone breastfed. I respect a woman's choice, but I get confused when women say they 'couldn't breastfeed'.

I guess I just wonder what women run into to make this the case.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Because there not good eduaction on breastfeeding and there Dr's just jump to well you can't and to fomula feed. I had a friend that did fite into the 3%. What ever she did her milk never came in.
    Anonymous

• 3-5% of all women physically can't. Others just don't like it. Others have to go to work and find it difficult to keep up with pumping at work, nursing at home. There are several reasons. As long as they are not starving the child, it's really what works best for the family.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 6:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• My children were born allergic to milk so thats why I did not breast feed.
    My sister did for a while and she would cry because it hurt her so bad.
    I think it is a personal choice if someone wants to breast feed or not. I do not judge a woman if she breastfeeds or formula feeds I am just happy the baby is being fed
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 6:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Many women are led to believe that they can't breastfeed. There are a lot of myths going around out there. There are also those that prefer not to, and a small percentage that medically cannot. I believe that lack of support and information is a big factor in why many women believe they can't nurse.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• bc they don't have to
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• There are SO many "reasons" women have problems.With a strong support system you should be good to go =]

My opinion is that in the first few weeks breastfeeding is like anything new for mom and baby and if there are some issues then it's going to take a lot of patience, dedication, and support. And without ALL of those things then it's too damn easy to just give a bottle when the formula companies send home a diaper bag full of it from the hospital knowing that they have mom's wallet in the sack as soon as she reaches her weakest moment.

I'm glad that your family is so awesome about breastfeeding. I was just talking to my mother about this on the phone.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Why do you care what other mothers do worry about your own kids
    Anonymous

• it made me feel like a child molester. i know that sounds bizarre, but im serious. i felt dirty with a child's mouth on my breast. i just kept thinking, "if my husband was doing this, i'd have an orgasm" i know that's gonna get some nasty comments, but i don't care. that's really the reason i didn't breastfeed.

Anonymous

• I "couldn't" because I didn't produce enough milk to feed my children.
    I went on domperidone, I ate oatmeal, I tried fenugreek and blessed thistle, I used breast pumps. I did everything I was told to do to stimulate milk production and nothing worked.

I figured it was better to feed my child formula and spend time loving them and enjoying them rather than having them be miserable, hungry and feel like a failure.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• i had a preemie and had to pump milk while he was in the hopital,this was very stressful and heart breaking to me.I was so scared by the time he got home ...he only got my milk for i think 3 months i was almost fully dried up..it was hard but thank God theres formula because my baby would have starved....i dont know if this happens to others but it was hard for me
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 6:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2010