19 Kids and Counting

Anyone watch that show? The Duggars live in Arkansas, Springdale I think and I imagine the non-white population is minimal to zero. Anyone think any of them harbor any racism or prejudice towards non-whites? From what I can tell, they hardly have any interaction with anyone outside their close circle. How about the Bates, the other large family that visit them often? Think they have any racist or prejudiced thoughts towards non-whites?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I doubt it, they don't seem to be like that. I watch that show from time to time, but I really couldn't see them being racist at all.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I used to be from Springdale, Arkansas. That is not where the Duggars are from. They are near there. If you had ever been to that area of Arkansas you will notice a surprising amount of so-called "non-whites". There is a huge Hispanic community and no one is racist or prejudice towards anyone there. There is hardly any hate crimes or anything like that. I personally do not know the Duggars nor their beliefs or if they have any prejudices towards any sort of "non-white" folk. I have met their oldest son in a post office once which, believe it or not, had much more Hispanics in it at the time than whites and he did not behave uncomfortable or as if he had any problem with them. He was a very nice young man. The Duggars are people just like anyone else. Even if they did have prejudices towards others, it would be none of your business.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Yeah, from what I've seen they're loving, caring and compassionate people. I don't think they'd have hate for someone because of colour.

I live in a predominantly white area and have 98% white friends but that doesn't mean I'm racist. It just means that the people who live near me and the friends I have happen to be white.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• There is also a large amount of Martialese (I'm not sure if that is spelled correctly) in that area. When I went to Springdale High, the "white" students were the minority.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I live in an almost all white town and am not racist. Just because there are no minorities doesn't mean people ae racists and just the opposite people in big cities with all different races can be racist
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 6:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• What in the world do the 2 things have in common? Are large families supposed to be racist or something? lol Just because you live in a particular area and it isn't very diverse, doesn't mean that you do so because you are a racist.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• They are not from Springdale. I watch the show all the time. I'm pretty sure they are not teaching racism. There is nothing on any show to indicate that they are racist.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Why would you cast such a disparaging thought? What have these people ever done that even implies they would have anything but kind actions. They are so faith based that I can't even imagine they would care what color someones skin is. I bet they are like so many of us; no one cares about skin color. We all have to be some color.  I think you have proven yourself to be the prejudiced person here. You have prejudged them to be something you have no evidence that they are (or are not). Shame on you!

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• 1. I think the Duggars are loving & accepting people. I dont think they would be racist at all.
    2. Most people "just happen" to hang out with their race -- racism has nothing to do with it..
    3. When the 2 families get together thats about 40 people.. Pretty large group of all white people (lol). but remember its only 2 FAMILIES! Now if 10 small families got together & NONE of them where non-white, then i may wonder or its just a coincidence.

Though im not really "church going" it seems races can be divided within churches. 1 baptist church will be full of whites & have a white preacher.. Go a few block downs & you may find a baptist church that is primarily blacks ... It has nothing to do with being racist, just you find comfort amoung your race ..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2010