How do you teach your toddler to be nice to animals???

I have a 3 year old who loves our little dog a Maltese but she is so mean to her. Grabbing her by the neck and kicking her. She has gotten better but she is still too rough with her. I would appreciate any advice to help remedy the situation. Thanks in advance.

April_5

Asked by April_5 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You have to make it clear the minute it happens that it is not acceptable. When she does it, remove her from the dog and say NO loud and firm. It might scare her but she is old enough to know this is wrong. Remind her all of the time that she has to be soft with the dog and that it hurts when she does that. I have told my 5 and 3 year olds from the beginning not to hit or kick our dogs because they can bite when they are hurt. We have never had a problem. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Thanks so much my biggest problem is my hubby and teenage son. They love to pick at the dog and they never really hurt her but pretend they are kicking her and stuff just to make her yelp and run to her bed (grr I cant stop them). And she thinkd they are really doing it and I dont know what to do to make her understand not to copy them.
    April_5

Answer by April_5 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. I have 3 dogs, one that is old and blind and I would never let my son be mean to them, and he knows it. When he has tried, he gets a time out immediately! And I would tell your son and hubby to stop doing what they are doing because that can't be helping. I think teaching kids to be nice to animals teaches them very good lessons so you are trying to do a good thing.
    Anonymous