I want to know once & for all Is packaged meat like chopped ham or baloney good or bad during pregnancy?

I have looked all over the internet but get wives tales or a million different opinions on what their doctor or midwife said, I heard it was bad but I'm 30 weeks and just CRAVE a ham and cheese/lettuce sandwich. I just want answers not boars head this or no my Douala said deli meats are better.... or my mom's sister's aunt's daughter said......I just straight up answers! and yes My doctor said coldcuts but he didn't specify......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i say just limit. have your ham and cheese sandwhich:) lol
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 6:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Processed meats aren't good for people pregnant or not
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 6:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• i have bologna sandwhichs still. they say to heat up the lunchmeat...but i dont. i dont have like 3 sandwhichs a day or anything usually just a couple a week. all of my babies are fine.the fear is just listeria(sp?) if the lunchmeat isnt "taken care of" properly.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 6:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• With my first pregnancy I craved subway every day and ate it at least twice a week. Ham, Pickles and Mustard. And he's a healthy 3 year old. I've also heard old wives tales that "cold-cuts" are not good during pregnancy, but I don't know the scientific reason for it. I would ask your doctor a more specific question if you want a specific answer.
    Anonymous

• I ate subway all the time. Everyone I know ate ham turkey bolonga or whatever. They never had issues. I ate 4 turkey sandwichs last night. I personally don't listen to those old wives tales.
    With this quesition tho all you will get is opinion. So either talk to your Dr again or be happy with the answers you get.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• why the hostile answer 86? I say one "samich" won't hurt .
    Anonymous

• It is no hostile. She listed off what she didnt want to hear and sorry but on this subject that si ALL she will hear. If she doesnt want opinions then she should not ask. PERIOD
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I have heard that one time and it was on here...that it is not safe to eat lunchmeats while pregnant.
    Honestly, I eat them. I never heard of anyone having a problem from it. I never experienced a problem from it either.
    This is my 3rd pregnancy and my first two came out very healthy, so I must be doing something right! lol
    I craved fresh bologna from the deli with my first and ate it all the time.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• There is a danger that lunch meats are potentially contaminated with listeriosis. It won't hurt a healthy person, but it can be very dangerous for a fetus. It's not a guarantee that it will be, but there is a risk. That's why you'll hear that so and so ate lunch meat and was fine. It's up to you whether or not you want to take the risk. I personally didn't. I felt like if anything did happen, I would have to live with not only that tragedy, but the fact that I knew better.

If you're really craving it, just heat up the ham until it's steaming. Then let it cool off and enjoy!

Hope that was a straight enough answer. There's no clear-cut answer because it's only a risk, not a definite danger.
    Anonymous

• My doctor told me if I eat it to heat it up a little because I guess it has a bacteria in it that isnt good for the baby.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 10:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2010