Why is it suddenly ok to smoke while pregnant?

I hear and see a lot of moms brag that they smoked during pregnancy and the children turned out just fine.
Am I the only one who thinks it's unfair on the unborn child?
Do you think it's Okay or wrong and have you smoke during your pregnancies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Who says it's okay? Of course, smoking is NEVER okay and especially not when pregnant.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 6:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Yeah, I don't understand it either.
    I don't personally think it's ok to smoke while pregnant. There have been medical studies PROVING the risks.

It's one thing to smoke and put your own health at risk, it's another thing entirely to put the health of your baby at risk because you wont give up smoking for 40 weeks.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I am a mother who smoked with all three of my children. I am not proud of it. My first and last child both have asthema. If I were to ever get pregnant again I would not smoke.
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 6:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It's never Ok. Those moms are just stupid. They got lucky there babies don't have problems.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 6:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It is not ok.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• i dont think it's ok, but yes im guilty. i knew the risks and cut back, but i did not quit entirely. smoking is a terrible addiction and the simple truth is, IT'S REALLY HARD TO QUIT! i wouldn't brag about it, but my kids turned out fine. i'm very lucky they all had perfect lung function, and my smallest was 8.8. it's far from the worst thing you can do while pregnant.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 6:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I smoked until I found out I was pregnant with both of my children. I didn't want to hurt them. The stupid thing was I cared little about myself because as soon as I was done BF I started again.
    Anonymous

• Defenitely not ok, those who do are very selfish and are giving their baby tons of unnecessary chemicals.

Answer by older at 7:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I think it's really unfair to the baby. My mom smoked when she was pregnant with me in the 80's and so did my MIL who smoked with all 4 of her kids. But I think back then they didn't know half as much as we now know about the dangers of smoking. I think it's very irresponsible. I had severe astham as a kid and my sister's kids all have severe asthma.
    Anonymous

• i have a friend that bragged about it. that hers were "fine". to me fine is NOT 3 lbs! she said she smoked so her babies would be easy to deliver. made me want to hit her. the health of my children is more important than how easy the deliveries are.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2010