I need your opinions please! I want to start an ebay store...what kind of stuff would YOU buy?

I want to start up an ebay store to make some extra money,but not sure what to sell. I want it to be something that people want..of course,lol.
I don't want to spend a whole lot in buying a ton of product in the beginning...just in case it doesnt sell..I don't want to lose money.
If your looking for stuff on ebay, what kind of stuff would you be interested in buying?
Heres some ideas I had: candles,sex toys(lol),kids clothes,bath and body products,hospital uniforms...

Thanks for your opinions! Greatly appreciated. :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 6:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Those that do the high shipping should be reported because it's considered evasion of fees and itsn't allowed.

OP, I'd be careful. eBay recently raised their rates and they specifically made the listing fees a lot higher for store owners unless they upgraded to a higher level of store which of course costs $50 or more a month)! For example, a store listing which is now just a Fixed Price listing) used to be 3 cents to list per month. Now the same thing costs 20 cents to list.

Also now that all the store listings are flooded into the main search when someone searches for a plus sized dress instead of maybe 1,000 listings over 40,000 are now showing up. Making it harder for your item to be seen.

WITHOUT a store, you can save on listings starting at 9 cents or less...you get 100 free a month. I'm cancelling my store and going this route for awhile. I think a lot of sellers will continue to see a drop in sales....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I have actually heard that sex stuff sells well. I personally buy jeans on ebay....lots of jeans. : )
    Anonymous

• when i shop on ebay..i do it quite frequently.i buy books, i always look for deals on childrens clothing. i am buying my twins bassinet on there in about a week. i never buy things that the shipping is outragous..EXAMPLE: there was this awesomely cute cars pillow my dd would've loved..they put the auction price starting at .99 greatdeal...howver the shipping was $12!!! sp basically the people trying to make money off of shipping i dont buy..put the actual amount of shipping. hmm i also buy things in lots. like makeup lots, clothes lots etc. sex toys i would never buy on there..lol but good luck!!
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 6:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Yeah, I noticed a lot of people try to do that with the shipping,always turned me off from buying it too.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It's not so much about what you are selling (unless it's something really obscure). It's more about marketing yourself correctly. Making sure that when a search is done on a product that your items come up at the top of the list. People don't scroll down to item 1143. I'd pick up the book Ebay for Dummies.
    Anonymous

• My husband's friend has an ebay store. He sells individual cards of Magic, Pokemon, and Yugioh(sp?). He gets them by either winning them in tournaments or buying the packs and breaking them down. He earns about $500 a month doing this.

Anonymous

• Shipping has gotten so high that it's kept me from buying much on ebay anymore, so pick something lightweight that won't cost someone too much to ship to make it worth it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Sex stuff sells good, i used a dropshipper account, so i bought nothing, the customers did.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• ...and leave to sell elsewhere. But i've been with ebay for 10 years and i'm not going anywhere, im just changing what and how I sell. I do sell mostly baby and kids clothing, but i've sold jewelry, new age items, lingerie and many other things over the years.

Pretty much anything can sell on ebay if it's priced right....it's a trial and error. I do recommend that you sell something you know something about. Don't sell kids clothes if you don't hasve kids, don't sell sex toys if you think they are "evil". If you love scrapbooking, sell scrapbooking items, if you collect old rare books, sell books....you'll always better at selling something that YOU personally enjoy, rather than selling something you know nothing about just because you think it's popular. Like, don't sell cell phones if you don't even own one or know how to use them.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• aww, thank you mom2jack, your answer is vey helpful! The fees involved with ebay is what has kept me away from it, I wanted to do this for a few years now but I get leary of fees like that and it being connected to my bank account, its just scary to me,lol.
    I was thinking of even starting a web store that has nothing to do with ebay. I know it would take a whole lot of advertising, but I'm not worried about that, I've always been pretty good with that kind of stuff. I guess its just getting away from the fear of actually just doing it, you know.
    And yes, I agree with you...I should stick with something that I enjoy, it would be a lot more fun to sell thats for sure! Thanks again for your info! I really appreciate it...from all of you! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2010