Unicorns in the bible?

In my NIV there are no unicorns, but in the KJV there are many references to them. Your thoughts? Blessings..

Daphna28

Asked by Daphna28 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• hmm rhinos may have been considered wild ox back then.. interesting. They have one horn :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• my thoughts are that anyone can change a verse that they don't like & make copies of it. IMO, the whole bible is that way.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I don't remember seeing any unicorns in the bible. Where are they?
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• That's the trouble with translations. I've read apologetic and opposing beliefs alike, and they've suggested everything from mere mistranslation of "wild ox", to the extinct animal elasmotherium, to the proof of pagan infusion into Christianity. I guess it just depends on what you believe.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• KJV Job 39:9-12
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• What we think of unicorns now adays is not what they though of them... most versions say wild ox .
    According to the concordence from blue letter bible website it says this in regards to KJV : 1) probably the great aurochs or wild bulls which are now extinct. The exact meaning is not known.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Go to biblegateway and type in unicorn in the kjv it'll pull up all of the verses
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Well now I know why it's not familiar I haven't read that version. The new king James calls it wild ox. It looks like the reason is because it was pagan reference so it was to eliminate that. I never knew that before.

http://www.learnthebible.org/unicorns-in-the-bible.html
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• i always thought the bible was referring to a one horned wild ox but who really know for sure, we weren't there. maybe there were unicorns and they were killed off in the flood or during the time before the new testament.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• People back in the day actually thought  creatures like unicorns, cockatrice and dragons existed and when science proved they didn't, the bible was changed so as to not look stupid.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2010