Should I stop talking to him?

I have a close relationship with my male friend. (we have never had a physical relationship no kisses hugs or sex) He is a married man but his wife and him are having troubles. I have tried giving relationship advice and the importance of trying to work things out. Lately he has been opening up to me more, like how he use to before he met his wife. He has stated this is the last time he will deal with her and there would be no next time. I keep hearing about these emotional affairs people are suppsoe to be having and I don't want to be the mistress of one. But I also don't want to stop talking to him especially since he is deployed overseas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• If you think that the talking is turning out to be more then what it is, let him know. I don't think it's an affair...but if he starts sayiing things like why couldn't she be more like you and stuff like that...then you need to change the subject. And be carefull about being to helpful...back in the day I was the shoulder to cry on, and believe me, your simpathy for him can make him start thinking about you...and even wanting to be with you. Just make sure that you are talking like you would talk, no soft sweet sounding voice that will open him up. Be yourself at all times, and when I say yourself...I mean the friends you've always been to him. Until you start seeing warning signs, you don't need to do anything. Remember, change the subject if you think he is leaning the wrong way
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 7:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• tell him you arent comfortable talking to him about things like that. that you dont want to lose the friendship but you also do not want to feel like a mistress.
    Anonymous

• Be assured that if he is talking to you about his marriage in such a way, things are already out of line. His anger/dissastisfaction with her combined with your willingness to be there for him is going to cause some confusing emotions in him. Since he is deployed, it may make it easier for you to stop communication. He should be communicating with his wife about his feelings and as long as you are there making it easier for him, he may not do that.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I think if you're not talking sexy or saying what you want to do to him or what he wants to do to you, then its not an "emotional affair". You are just a girl talking to a guy and giving relationship advice.
    KellyOh72

Answer by KellyOh72 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2010