Pain Management

I suffer from wide-spread arthritis, fibromygalia, and migraines. So I am always in some sort of severe pain. I am on medications to control my arthritis and fibromygalia symptoms... but they do not always work. My migraines do not respond to beta blockers or tripans. How can I make my doctor understand that I am not seeking narcotic pain relief just for the "high" but to actually function? How can I make him look past the fact that I have kids? When I take narcotics on daily basis, the side-effects of lightheadness goes away but it still takes away the pain. I am able to function on those medications, whereas without, I can't get out of bed. Anyone have experience with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Health

• I dont have experience with your particular problem but I feel you. I suffer from severe anxiety. I used to be on a drug called klonopin, it can alter your mind but it is the only drug that has ever helped me. Well I moved and I cant get my new doctor to perscribe anything but placebos. They are not helping. Have you brought up other mediciations to your doctor before?
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 8:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• would you consider seeing a naturopath? sometimes taking the road less traveled can bring your life back.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Find another doctor or request consult to a pain clinic. A lot of regular doctors are reluctant to prescribe narcotics for long term pain management. However, a pain doctor will because you are under contract with them. You can only get your narcs from that doctor and they will test you at each visit. If you come up dirty, they won't see you anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Apr. 9, 2010