Delayed???

does any one have a child with behavior and speech delays? i have a 2 year old with a speech delay i try getting him to go over words and stuff and he has a lot of blured babble and just throws fits and screams a lot of the time for no reason at all s their any thing i can do to help him we are getting started in early intervention but its a long process

saadamarie

Asked by saadamarie at 8:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Autism is so different in every child it would be hard to give you a "typical" description. Most people now refer to it as "autism spectrum disorder" because it can vary from very high functioning to very low functioning, highly verbal to non verbal, highly intelligent to borderline mental retardation, etc. He may not have autism, some drs just will not diagnose it as that until the child is at least 3. But it sounds like there are a lot of similarities between your child's delays and children with autism. You can google it to get some general info online. My 12 year old is verbal, but his words are somewhat stilted and very basic, he doesn't understand symbolic language, and most of his communication is focused on only what HE wants to talk about - but I'm thrilled that he's able to communicate his wants/needs! He is very funny, has a great sense of humor. The older they are, the easier it gets,but I know it's hard now

Answer by missanc at 9:36 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• The PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System ) works well. You can look at it online and see if it might work for you. I have three boys with autism, which does include behavior issues and language delay, and it worked well for them. Once they have a way to communicate effectively you will see some of the behavior disappear as it is sometimes caused by frustration of poor communication skills.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• i'm also an autism mom and i agree strongly w/ the pp. PECS is great. also, you can introduce some simple signs. It really helps with the frustration leading to the tantrums.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 8:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I have a 12 year old with autism. Very early on we used a first . . . then system using objects and then pictures. If your child doesn't seem to understand the PECS right off, the 1st step to that is using actual objects which you then replace with pictures. It's labor intensive and seems overwhelming when they are young, but it gets much easier with age.
    Depending on where you live, I would definitely get in touch with your local Autism Society - many parents of kids with autism deal with the issues you are dealing with and would be able to offer support, encouragement, ideas, and local sources of therapy and services.

Answer by missanc at 9:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• he hasnt been diagnosed with autism but is that a possibitity i feel like it could be but i dont know and if so can some one tell me in a little more detail what autism is i would like to better understand!!
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 11:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2010