Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DCFS investigations, any help?

About 2 weeks ago there was an altercation between my husband and a friend of mine at my house. The police were called and the next day an investigator from DCFS stopped by. We have 3 young children, and I suppose the police called DCFS since this was the second incident this year where they were called to our house. My husband and I have a rocky relationship, and there has been abuse at times, and after this last incident I did file for an order of protection against my husband. I informed the DCFS worker of everything that has been going on and that my husband is out of the home. I really dont know what else to expect out of this investigation though. Has anybody else been through this before? Are my kids going to get taken away? I'm seriously freaking out about everything thats happened this past month.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • DH and I have been investigated by CPS before.... Do your research. Every state has a website stating their guidelines for CPS. Your kids are probably not going to be taken away as long as you keep your husband out of the house. If you have questions call the case worker and ask. They are there to help you. Good luck to you and your family.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

  • The only reason your children would be taken is if they find you to be unfit to care for your children. If they deem the home unkept, unsafe, like if they feel that your husband or yourself are a danger to each other or your child. If you were up front about every incident and honest with them there isn't much more that can be done. It is good that your husband is out of the home and they will see that as a good sign. That you've rid the safety issue from the home and made it illegal for him to come near you or your children. They're most likely to side with you from doing just that.

    Like the previous post said .. search on your local government's website about the rules and regulations of DCSF. And like she said, keep your husband out of the home. Have no contact with him, and repsect the restraining order. As well, make sure you contact police if he breaks it.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

  • I have dealt with CPS before and can tell you this: DON'T TRUST CPS!! Yes the caseworker is supposed to be there to help you. That is not always the case. I can send you a handbook explaining your rights, if you'd like. PM me

    Answer by offrdngal at 10:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

  • When I was a kid DCFS investigated my parents. There were multiple reports of domestic abuse between my parents- my mother was an alcoholic who was abusive to my sister & yet they left us there. . . Im sure if there is nothing happening TO your children, they will not be removed.

    Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.