Why are more younger people use Food stamp than older people.

I am a cashier at Walmart. I see so many people that are on food stamp that are young. I hardly ever see senior citizen on Food Stamp. I swear people have no pride.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree that more young than old people have it. When I was a cashier it killed me to see old people counting pennies to buy food but some young person with 5 kids comes in and buys junk on food stamps. The main issues are bad economy and VERY young teen parents. My sister had a GF tell her that she should get pregnant because all those "free" benefits from the social services office were awesome that she would never have to work again.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• honestly, it's really hard to get food stamps if there are no minor children in your home. my grandmother is 88 yrs old, living alone on $816.00 (social security) per month. her rent is $545.00 and she also pays electric, gas and phone bills. she does not qualify for food stamps.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• They're of the "give me" generation.
    Anonymous

• Do you know what it does to your pride to have to walk into an office and beg someone for money so you can feed your kids???? It's not that easy to get food stamps and once you get them it's not easy to keep them either. Not to mention the fact that I have always worked for a living and paid my taxes and now that I need a little help to get through a hard time I'm looked down upon. You should really think a little more before you go posting questions about peoples pride.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 9:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It's much easier for a younger person, with young children to qualify for food stamps.
    Older people usually have more assets that are counted against them, than younger people do.
    Older people in many instances are less likely to ask for that sort of help. They would rather just "get by" on their own.
    Older people aren't as versed in many cases as younger people are in how to use the system to their advantage..

(((just the observations of a former social worker/case worker)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 9:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Uh...I work full-time and I pay all my utilities. I have one kid and no support. I get them, but, I do have pride. I remember a time when he and I lived in a car for 2 weeks and ate very little. He had to eat spaghetti o's out of a can cold. So, I am greatful to know I can feed him very healthy now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• i would rather see a young mom using FS to buy her kids food instead of the kids dying from malnutrition/going to bed hungry. who are u to judge? just do your job and scan the damn groceries like u are supposed to do. i am not on PA but, i hate women putting down another person just b/c they need help. at the end of the day as long as kids are eating i dnt give a damn how their mommy paid for the food. if walmart was to fire u i bet u would get on foodstamps to feed your kids. u can dismount your high horse now.
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 9:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• what does pride have to do with it?

i think that feeding your family is more important than pride. Also, the fact that older people arent on them might be because of pride....and you think thats a good thing? that they would rather starve than ask for help? i think that is ridiculous.

also, i find it hard to believe that bestmommber's grandmother doesnt qualify for Food stamps.....she must be awful close. my MIL and FIL qualify and all they have as income is MIL's 660 from SSI a month. They pay $250 in rent and electric, gas, and phone bills. They get quite a bit in food stamps and she gets her medicare paid for now too.

I know there are people who take advantage and I think that is VERY wrong, but I also feel like if a person REALLY qualifies they should not be judged or looked down upon. It takes a lot to ask for help when you actually need it.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Oh yeah..I also get about $88.00 a month and I only use that. I don't buy more.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Well I knew there was a reason I dont shop at Walmart.....rude bi%tch$ like you.
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 9:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2010