14month old fell off the bed......

My daughter just fell off the bed, we are in the moving process so it was just the mattress and boxspring but the back of her head hit the baseboard, she is acting normal but she has a bump that looks kind of like a hickey on the back of her head....Im nervous dont know what to do any suggestions?

nursinghannah

Asked by nursinghannah at 9:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep an eye on her. If she goes to sleep check on her every couple hours, wake her up to make sure she does wake up. If she is acting normal she should be fine. Been there, done that. Lol. Good luck! Hope this helps a little!
    lesliejane50

Answer by lesliejane50 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• See if her eyes respond to light, if not she could have a concusion and you should take her to ER. But if everything seems fine and she's acting normal then she should be fine, just keep an eye on her.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 10:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Her pupils should be equal and reactive (i.e. the same size and should get smaller in bright light, larger in dim light). Bumps are pretty normal. If it caves in (anywhere on her head...that is a problem...take her to the ER). Check her soft spot...it shouldn't be sunken in or protruding out. If she vomits, take her to the ER. If she starts acting strangely, take her to the ER. Other than that, if she seems fine, she probably is. Don't give any medication...you don't want to mask any symptoms.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Kids are resilient. Watch her for concussion symptoms but if you haven't seen anything by now, you are probably in the clear.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I'm a nurse, and I just wanted to say I think the previous answers you got are great!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I agree with everything everyone else said! Don't sweat it momma! It happens to everyone. Did she cry right away when she fell? I've heard that if the child does NOT cry right away, then there's an issue.
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies your answers really helped me calm down and address the situation!
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 10:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2010