Has anyone had a doula??

I was thinking about getting a doula. This isnt my first kid this is actually my 3rd and i know alot of women get them for there first but i was really thinking about it for the support because my husband is deployed and i have no family here and my baby is due oct 9th 2010, my husband isnt due back till around oct or hopefully september so i dunno if he will be here for sure or not. I wanted just ur advice if u have had a doula or a midwife and how u liked it? Also i wanted to try a natural birth this time and a water birth and i know they help alot with that i really want a water birth but i dnt think i could go without the epidural. Just looking for advice if u have done any of these and ur advice.

lorenzosgurl

Asked by lorenzosgurl at 10:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• first one was in the hospital... I wish I had a doula!!! second was at home with a midwife, I did not need a doula. This one if we have the baby at home, mo doula, if the baby is born in the hospital our midwife will act as our doula! I will never step foot in the hospital again without a doula, but I want to avoid the hospital all together!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• btw... it always helps to know what you want from your birth and see a doula communicating these things to see if you feel comfortable with that person
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I had a doula with my second child and it was an AMAZING experience. She was so helpful to my husband and I. She massaged my feet with amazing smelling lavender oil, massaged my back, and supported me in anyway I needed or wanted.

My husband and I will hire her again if we have any more children.
    Anonymous

• I had a friend who was a doula... she was very helpful to me. I don't know why the first poster had such a negative experience in a hospital - but after I got my epidural (unplanned - I wanted a natural birth too! but oh MAN..) my baby's heart rate dropped to INCREDIBLY dangerous levels. My complete advice - hospitals can be a much more stressful and uncomfortable experience than you can find elsewhere - but you have machines, professionals, and a surgery room nearby if you need it. I did.

I felt bad actually that I had my doula through the whole experience and wound up not having a vaginal birth at all! But she was very sweet and knowledgable, and helped me a lot before and during my labor. I absolutely recommend one :) especially if you will possibly be alone! I hope your husband comes back in time to see his baby come into the world :)
    XmoonlitkissX

Answer by XmoonlitkissX at 10:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I would definitely have a doula, especially if you are going it alone!

Like the first poster, I had a horrible hospital experience- and I was only in the hospital 20 minutes before I gave birth. They refused to hear ANYTHING I had to say, and did not believe that I could be walking through the door, in transition until I threatened to squat and catch... It only got worse from there. Without my doula present, it would have been a complete disaster. She stepped up and MADE the staff listen to her, when they refused to listen to me. What did I know, it was only MY body! Mechelle was a blessing!

After that I sought out the only practicing MW group in NC, and still had a bad hospital experience (not the actual birth, but being in the hospital). 3rd time around, I had a water birth at a freestanding birth center- If I could still have children, that is what I would do again.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Yes, I think if you won't have the support of your husband a doula is a wise choice.
    I had a doula who was invaluable in that in the beginning of my labor I was having back labor and she put me on all fours and showed my dh how to put pressure on my hips during contractions so that the baby would turn- and she did and no more back labor and my water broke (her head was blocking the amniotic sac from breaking). If I didn't have a doula I might have ended up with prolonged back labor and possibly a hospital transfer (I had midwives at a birth center) and maybe a c-section. But- other than that- as a labor support person, I didn't need her at all. She kept saying that my husband was doing her job, he was a very active labor support person and impressed all the women in the room. She actually annoyed/distracted me because her phone kept making noises and she was texting. But she was invaluable in the beginning.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2010