Should i try a VBAC or another C-section for baby number 2?

Im having my second baby in december and by that time my son is only going to be 1 1/2 years old. My doctor gave me the choice to have anothet c-section or a vbac? but i dont know really which way i should go. With my son i had to end up having an emergency C-section because he got stuck and i thought that the second one was always bigger so im not sure....Any Advice will be very helpful.

kayjay7583

Asked by kayjay7583 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My daughter was 8 pounds 1 ounce and my son (second baby) was 7 pounds 9 ounces so the second baby is not always bigger.

VBACs are safer in general. Repeat c-sections carry a lot of risk. There is a less than 1% chance of uterine rupture which is the big scare that people use to scare women into c-sections. The fact is the chances of it happening are very small.

I personally would go with a VBAC but that's just me.
    Anonymous

• VBAC. Ditto to what PP said, and vaginal birth in general is way better for mom and baby, so it's definitely worth it to try. Even if you labored and still ended up with a c-section, the laboring is good for baby.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• My second was smaller. But anyway, regardless, as PPs said, VBAC is generally safer. The only added risk is 0.7-1.5% uterine rupture, but that includes everything from asymptomatic ruptures to bad ones resulting in death (which are very rare). Also, rupture can happen even in women with no history of surgery, it's just slightly increased after a C-section. And keep in mind, too, that recovery from a VBAC is much easier, which can be important when considering that you'll have an active toddler to take care of, too (big part of my decision, and my VBAC recovery was 100x better than my C-section, and my C-section was about as good an experience as it could have been).

You've been through labor and an emergency C-section already, so there's really not much worse that could happen the second time around. And you'll never know unless you try. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I WAS IN YOU SITUATION ALMOST 2 YEARS AGO TO THE DAY. I CHOSE TO HAVE ANOTHE C-SECTION BECAUSE IF YOU DO TRY TO VBAC YOUR SCAR FROM THE LAST C-SECTIONS COULD RUPTURE AND CAUSE YOU TO HEMORAGE, PUT THE BABIES LIFE IN JEPORDY IF THEY CANT GET YOU TO AN OR SOON ENOUGH AND YOU MIGHT LOSE YOU UTERUS. lOTS OF WEMON HAVE HAD SUCCESSFUL VBACS BUT FOR ME I DIDNT WANT TO RISK IT. THEY HAVE BEEN DOING C-SECTIONS FOR DECADES AND HONESTLY THERE IS MORE OF A CHANCE OF A UTERN RUPTURE THAN SOMETHIEN GOIGN WRONG IN A C-SECTION. i JUST DIDNT FEEL THE RISK OUTWEIGHED THE REWARD WITH IT. GL AND CONGRATS!

PS SORRY THATS ITS IN ALL CAPS DIDNT NOTICE TIL NOW.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Amanda is ABSOLUTELY WRONG!

There are FAR MORE risk in a repeat c-section than with a VBAC. The risk of a uterine rupture and hemorage that can result in the lost of your uterus is MUCH HIGHER with repeat c-sections that with VBAC.

Honestly had Amanda done any research or read the post prior to hers she would know this.

And as far as the whole "they've been doing c-sections for decades" thing...well I've got knews for you women have been giving birth far longer!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I would make sure your hospital has a "breakdown bed" or a birthing stool; squatting opens the pelvis over than 20% more than lying down.

International Cesarean Awareness Network -- VBAC INFORMATION

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• wow anon12:18... if you had read my comment you would have saw that i said "I chose to have another one" and "I didnt feel the risk.." she asked for opinions and I gave her mine. And yes i am aware that women have been givin birth longer than they have been doing c-sections, im not stupid. My point was with that statment was that they have been doing them for a long time, its not like its something new that has just come out. The doctors know what they are doing. I did do my research and the risk of uterine rupture and hemorage is only high when you have had 3 or more c-sections. Nothing in my first comment was wrong, it was my opinon. Im sorry if you dont like what i had to say but then again this isnt you question. Im sorry you feel the need to be rude because it wasnt nessecary.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 12:47 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Actually Amanda you stated "AND HONESTLY THERE IS MORE OF A CHANCE OF A UTERN RUPTURE THAN SOMETHIEN GOIGN WRONG IN A C-SECTION" which is factually INCORRECT!

SO yes something in your first comment was infact WRONG.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I would VBAC all the way for safety sake. Unfortunately I was unable to VBAC this last December due to a sudden change in my health but the plan from the beginning of that pregnancy was to VBAC. If I ever have another child I will still try to find a health care provider who would work with me on a VBA2C. In most cases VBAC is healthier/safer for the mother and it's healthier/safer for the baby as well. Educate yourself well on VBACs, at least look for an OB who is open to VBACs that way it is an option for you should you so choose. It's your baby and your life don't let anyone push you either way. Congratulations by the way!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• If your doctor is willing to let you try to have a VBAC, why not try. I switched OBs at 12wks just so I could get my VBAC, and don't regret my decision at all.
    trish2tew

Answer by trish2tew at 10:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010