Anybody have any information on using castor oil to help start labor?

brysonsmom415

Asked by brysonsmom415 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yeah . . . it's gonna make you poop . . . A LOT! and it will give you really bad cramps. but it will not start labor lol i know because i was dumb enough to try it! save yourself the pain, don't do it!
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• i had a friend who tried it several times with her first two. all it did was make her throw up and get the runs.
    Anonymous

• DONT DO IT ! IT WONT WORK !
    Anonymous

• I would highly highly HIGHLY recommend you do NOT use it. It does not really work, all it does is cause you to have stomach issues such as nausea and diarrhea...the idea behind it is that the stomach cramps from vomiting and having the runs will cause your uterus to contract. In cases that it has brought on labor it was only by coincidence. Really, It's not worth it...and if you did happen to go into labor after using it you will be exhausted before real labor even hits from being sick and having diarrhea when you go into labor is not a fun thing. I've had 3 kids...the only thing that "helped" bring on labor for me was sex...and I honestly think it's by coincidence that anything "jumpstarts" labor because as I learned from my second child...sometimes the only way they are going to come is when they are ready. I tried EVERYTHING to get my second child to come and it just wasn't happening. Just be patient! =)
    jcarvalho

Answer by jcarvalho at 10:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Personally, I wouldn't do it. My friend did and her labor came too fast and hard. They lived 1/2 hour from the hospital. The baby came out literally as they were going in the hospital doors 1/2 hour after she drank it. Since the baby same so fast, there was no epidural that she was hoping to have and she tore all the way through everything.
    Anonymous

• I used it and I had to poop alot. I did it at about 9pm and I went into labor at 3am that same night. It may work for some people and it also may not. It all depends on the person.
    xxmandyraexx

Answer by xxmandyraexx at 10:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Don't do it. It doesn't work it will cause you pain and loads of poop but no baby.

As much as I hated hearing this both times I was pregnant...the baby will come when it's ready. No amount of old wives tales and tricks will make it come any sooner.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 10:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• My mom used it successfully for two births. It will only work if your body is totally ready, and even then maybe not for everyone. I would do it before I tried conventional induction. My mom said it cleaned her out and then she didn't poop when she gave birth, so she was ok with it.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• DH's mother tried it and it caused DH to poop which made drs think he was in distress and she was rushed for an emergency C section....
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Anonymous