How Many Ear Infections Does it Take!

My 15 month old has had 5 ear infections since Feb. How many she need to get before they decide to do anything about it. Since Sept 2009 about 10 ear infections probably. You think it is time for tubes?

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It took my son's doctors 8 months and about 20 ear infections before they would refer him to an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor. We finally got the appointment and it turns out that while he did have something wrong, tubes would not fix the problem, he would just have to out grow it and he did.

Anonymous

• i would call the doc and ask for a referal to an ent...dont wait for them to bring it up
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I would think it's at least time for an ENT appointment. Tubes aren't always the answer, as the PP said, but it seems like they would at least refer you to a specialist by this point. Have you tried asking for a referral? Does your insurance company even require referrals? If not, then go ahead and make an appointment yourself if you don't feel your general physician is taking note well enough.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I havd ooldes of ear infections when i was a kid, the docs said tubes and my mom said no, I grew out of it and haven't had an issue since.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• My nephew had tubes all his life, they also took his tonsils and adenoids out, and he still gets ear infections as an adult and has partial hearing loss.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• As a mom of a son who had MULTIPLE recurrent ear infections like your dd...and waited for tubes b/c Dr said to....

I WOULD PUSH HARD FOR TUBES....after my son got them...instant cure. He felt and looked so much better and no more harmful over use of antibiotics! I should have pushed to get them done sooner!

Dont wait...sounds like she really needs them ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Is she off dairy? I've heard that dairy is associated with a lot of ear infections. I know that doesn't answer your question... just a thought!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Yep, time for tubes. It's easy and will really help. Consult the ENT despite what your ped says.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• It's not always tubes! My problem was my tonsils and adenoids....

Also the reason that kids grow out of it is because in kids the Eustachian tube (which is what drains the inner ear ~ where infections occur) is fairly horizontal. THUS any sinus infection will pinch it off and not allow it to drain properly... leading to ear infections as that fluid is retained. Tubes just allows for another outlet through the eardrum.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 10:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My daughter always had ear infections since she was 7 months old. She started seeing a ENT doctor at 12 months and finnally when she was 2 1/2 they went and did tubes and had to take her tonsuils and adnoids out. She had ear infections and sore throats every two weeks. When they finnaly took them out she had swollen tonsils for a month and a ear infection for 8 weeks that wouldn't go away even with meds. It just depends on the doctor when they do it. Our doctor left the choice up to me and I told them to do it
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 9, 2010