Been irritated?

If i have been irritated lately because of my son who is now 10 months old doesn't want to play by himself, sit by himself, want to even lay in his crib to try and sleep sometimes... but eventually which is way late at night decides to.... am i going to go crazy or maybe nuts if I am about to have another baby and they are only going to be a year and a couple of months apart??? i just don't want to lose my mind!!!lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids are 19 months apart and best friends. I felt like before my second was born, I was the "entertainment" but now he has little sister. It;s wonderful.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Prepare to get bashed. I asked a question similar to this and people acted like I was an abusive mom for not having my kid on my hip 24/7. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Start teaching your child indepdence. Encourage him that he can play by himself.
    Try putting on a DVD that distracts him, or TV show. Like Blues Clues, Super Why, Word World, Seasme Street. Scatter and scatter some fun toys around him. Sit there for a while and then slowly leave the room. Just to the hallway, or just out of sight of him. Then if he continues to play and watch TV go do something else. Check in on him every so often, but don't make yourself known. This will give him confidence that he can be alone. If he starts to fuss don't rush to him, let him work it out. He'll be okay, but he has to figure it out that he can be alone.

Maybe put something like a mobile in his crib or something musical to distract him, so he doesn't worry that he's alone when being put to bed.

Just help guide him into being more independent. It's okay to let them cry it out, but just assure him he's okay.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• You can't "teach" a 10 month old to be independent. It is a developmental stage to be clingy right now. The best you can do is to take a deep breath and come to peace with the fact that he needs you 24/7 right now. If you can do that as much as you can now he WILL become more independent in a few months. If you try and get him to be alone when he is not ready he will cling tighter and it will be harder. What household chores etc. can you just let slide right now? Figure out what you can do with him clinging to your leg. You go into the kitchen to cook dinner, bring him with you etc.
    Try not to worry about baby #2. I have 2 boys 17 months apart. I can remember crying during my 2nd pregnancy and panicking thinking "What was I thinking!!!" Just know that it will all work out!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2010