Anyone use a diaphram? Cervical plug?

At my last dr. visit, she rec. me using on Mirena. I never thought about using an IUD since everytime Ive used the pill I get really "weird" feeling.. I did some googling :) and just about everyone Hates Mirena! Ive read some horror stories!!

So Im considering a diaphram or cervical plug.. are those both OTC? Will my hubby feel it?? Do I take it out the next day?

TMI!-
The only other non Rx thing Ive used is Encare. I dont care for it since it "melts" and after sex Ill be "dripping" for 2 days!! :p

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Health

• I happily and successfully used a diaphram for two years. Mind you, had we gotten pregnant it wouldn't have been the end of the world which is partly why I chose it. I was SO tired of the pill. So we used it w/ spermacide and never had an issue. You use it and remove it after sex. It's hard to get in and equally hard to get out but worked well for us. I'm older so the new options I haven't a clue about. BC is so tough for women. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:29 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• oh and he won't feel it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I'm interested in the answer too. I was told that I couldn't have a diaphragm because they were only for women who had never given birth (by a health care professional- she wanted me to have an IUD but I refused)... but I'm getting from others that that isn't true. It's been a year-and-a-half since we had our daughter and we are still using condoms but they are annoying. Previous poster- was a diaphragm nice for already having in when the mood hit? How did it feel for you- condoms irritate me? Is spermicide messy/annoying? Did you go without the spermicide if you didn't have it on hand?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I don't know about the advice of not using one after having kids. Strange but ....
    Honestly, I just added the required dab of spermicide into the bottom of the diaphram and pinched it and pushed it in. Can be tough to get up there. I suppose I could say I felt the jelly, whether it was cold or irritable I'm not sure but it subsided quickly. Yes, you can have it in, in anticipation of sex and you don't much feel it and can easily forget it but it's better to take it out. I remember always feeling like "Ugh, maybe this isn't the most protective contraception" which is why we opted to use it when we did (knowing a pregnancy wouldn't ruin us). But that said, we definitely had a lot of sex and it worked. When I finally decided to get pregnant, I got knocked up the first time after using the diaphram so it must be working!
    Spermicide isn't annoying or messy. I always used it "just in case." For us, it was WAY better than a condom
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:24 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I used a diaphragm and it got stuck in me to where my boss (an OB/GYN doc) had to remove it. I can also ask my 8 year old daughter how effective it is even if used properly. She can tell you that it is not a very effective form of BC. As far as sex goes, he said it felt like there was a wall at my cervix. Removing it sucks too because you have to leave it in for 8 hours after sex and, provided it does not get stuck up there, it's messy because you have spermicide and ejaculate all over your hand. It makes the diaphragm very slippery and nasty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• We use a diaphram when we are not pregnant. I love it. I can not feel it and neither can my hubby. We never had any problems at all. You can take it out after 6 hrs after having sex. It does say you should put it in 15 min before you have sex. but I never have. I also put it in before we start or if I know I want some. I like how there are no homones in it and not like mirana. That think scares the crap out of me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Never thought about that part.. "it's messy because you have spermicide and ejaculate all over your hand"..
    So sperm can live for up to 5 days right??
    So when youre taking it out does some of the sperm get emptied out and stay in you??
    I just picture a bowl inside you and getting the bowl out would require you to turn it sideways and empty out all the sperm..???
    I think I just need to buy one and take it for a test drive ;)
    Anonymous