Time for a big boy bed? How do you know?

When did you switch your toddler from a crib to a big boy bed?
I plan/planned to keep my son in a crib until he started climbing out- he's been great about going to bed, wonderful sleeper and such a pleasant crib-er. However, recently (about the time I started back to work) he started having a lot of trouble going down at night. He is 20 months. I have noticed that he wants to curl up in our bed, on the floor, on the couch- anywhere but his crib. He is using a pillow, a big blankie, a ton of stuffies and he's sticking his legs through the crib rails quite a bit. He is not climbing out or tearing the bed apart, but he throws his stuff out of it and screams. I had been thinking he may be ready to switch. Might I be right? (As I type this, he is curled up sound asleep on the couch, where he landed when he woke up at 10, randomly. It's cute, but not cool. Not cool at all. HELP?)

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I set up a big boy bed in my sons room. He started out reading and playing in bb bed, then graduated to taking his nap in there. He was too scared or whatever to spend the night in his bed, so he used the crib. We would try to get him to start out sleeping in his bb bed for a week or two but he prefered his crib.
    Eventually he started sleeping in his bed on his own. After a few weeks of both beds we took down the crib- he never missed it. He was probably about 20 months when we made the switch.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I just changed my 11 month old to a toddler bed. Mostly because he was sleeping in a playpen and his 2 year old brother would tip it over and let him out.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• my son is two and i haven't made the switch yet... i want to wait awhile. trying to save money so i can buy a house... :s
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• We did wait until almost 3 and were glad we did. But if you think he's not comfortable in his crib, you could try it. If you're planning on switching to a toddler bed that uses the same mattress as the crib, though, I don't know if it would make a difference. Unless you think the novelty of it would be an enticement. But the other option, the one we did, was switching to a twin bed with guard rail. I'm not sure if I'd do it at 20 months, though... You know your child best. I know a lot of people swear by making the switch really early, but I found that in our case at least, waiting until almost 3 made it a non-issue. She wouldn't even climb out of her twin bed, she just treated it like her crib for the longest time!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2010