A question for the SAHM's?

I would absolutly love to be a sahm. Or even just to work part time. But my dh doesnt make enough to pay all of our bills, so I too have to work. I hate my job and want to just quit, but we have to pay bills. How do your familys survive on only one income?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• we dont live above what he makes,things are simple,we get extra when we can afford it ,and we save money.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 11:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Luckly my DH makes enough money to support us, otherwise i would have to work.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• We just barely get by. I used to work some 3rd shift hours and sleep while the kids are at school but now I can't because of an injury. So now it's just a matter of cutting out all the stuff we truly don't need and doing whatever we have to, to get by. Hopefully I can work some part time hours when I'm better. Not all SAHM never work, some just work opposite shifts so that a parent is always home with the kids.

Anonymous

• our dollars are rubber. coupons and store discount cards. we dont eat out very much and we dont usually buy things we dont need and when we do its usually things we can all enjoy. we buy almost everyting used form clothes to furniture. and i swear our dog eats better than we do. hubby insists he have purina.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Well each SAHM family is going to be very different depending on income, lifestyle, location, bills, ect. But for us its not easy at all. We make alot of sacrifices and we go without alot of things. But for us those things aren't more important than me being at home. Some things we do to cut costs...eat out less including packing lunches, no cable (we do have netflix and internet), rarely buy clothes for hubby and I, buy thrift or consignment for the kids, I'm particular about how much gas I use in my car since my trips aren't necessary, take advantage of free/cheap events for the kids like play dates, half price days, parks and libraries, use coupons and grocery store ads to shop, have vegetarian days...those are just some of the ways we save money.
    It may or may not be possible with your hubby's income but it doesn't hurt to cut where you can now to preprare for the future.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:02 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I am the only income some of us are single and if i didn't get up and go to work i would 1 be homeless or two living under my mother whom i only get along with when we live apart lol.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• We made a conscious decision since the very beginning that I would be able to stay home if that is what I wanted, and then we live within our means. It has also helped my husband to strive harder to make more money. It works for us. He started off making about $19,000/year about 10 years ago, and he now makes over $100,000/year. We do have 5 kids though, so I still try to be as frugal as possible. Lol, I just saved about $35 on groceries today using coupons.
    peace1234

Answer by peace1234 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• A big thing is we cut down to one car. Since I didn't have to commute to work also, then the extra vehicle was just a huge money sucker.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Don't live beyond your means. We make more than enough for our family that is why I stay home. If youhave 1600 a month to live then make sure you follow your priorities first. ( 1600 was just an example)

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• my husband makes enough to pay for everything and have a little extra -- he is also the kind who accounts for every penny, so we dont just buy whatever
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:24 AM on Apr. 9, 2010