I had my hours cut. After starting this new job, working fourty hours a week for one month all of us new people had our hours cut.

I was called and told to not come in this weekend. :(
SO, for all you people who say things are improving.....how is this true? Fourty people at my place of employment either were laid off or cut to 8 hrs a week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• It may be better in some places, but at the moment, here in Florida, it SUCKS.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 11:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Easy - because that is one company in one town. It's not indicative of the entire country. That's like saying you don't believe in global warming because it's snowing at your house. You're taking a small snapshot of what's happening in your town and trying to apply it to the entire country.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• And my husband can't find dependable help. He has two positions open and can't find anyone (worthwhile) to fill them with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Check the St. Louis paper. We are FULL of jobs!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Easy - because that is one company in one town

OP: Actually I work for a corporate GIANT. It is happening to ALL their stores. So, it IS indicative of the economy. Why? Because where I work is one of the first places people spend money to fix things in their home that is broken. People shop here immediately after necessities are taken care of. It means PEOPLE ARE NOT SPENDING MONEY. People have NO money to spend, or are saving it. So hours get cut. Then...PEOPLE HAVE NO MONEY.
    If you have not been following this economical situation, you really need to start. It is going way down before it gets better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You may qualify for some unemployment compensation, depending on how much your hours were cut.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2010