how do i tell my MIL that she isn't nameing my baby (her first grandchild)

my mil thinks she is naming my first child. my husband an i have decided to name her Isabela Rose....after my mother who passed away. but everytime anyone asks about the baby she says "molly is doing just fine" i am not naming my baby Molly! i've told her over an over it's gonna be Isabela can someone please tell me how to get her to stop telling everyone it's molly...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol.. simply, its you and your husbands child.. i wish my mil would think so.. lol.. you sign the birth ceritificate not her.
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 1:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• It is your baby, not hers. While I understand it might be driving you crazy if she hasn't gotten the point yet of understanding maybe she wont. I suppose just correcting her or anyone that asks until the baby is born, and then continuing with the name. After the birth, she might be hurt... but she will figure out really quick that she needs to just go along with what you want.

Your baby, you pick the name.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I'd say, if you've told her once that's as good as you can do now. It sounds like she's in denial and thinks maybe the more people she tells, the more "stuck" you'll be. Well, too bad for her, because you won't be stuck. Don't talk to her about it anymore. Just sign the birth certificate. And you know what? I bet she'll call the baby "molly" anyway. And if it doesn't bother you too much, that can just be grandma's little nickname for her and everyone else will call her by her real name.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I had that issue with my second dd. My dh and me wanted to call her Fiery Rose, My Aunt wanted December Rose. We argued all the way until the baby came, Then dh and I choose to compromise and call her Emmber Rose. which still has the same meaning as Fiery and Is part of December. Long story short because we compromised she decided she won and now calls my dd December all the time. She tried the same with my son, but we were firm and she calls him by the right name and just whines. So the options you may be looking at are Naming the baby some thing you don't want to. Compromise and still have the possibility she calls her Molly any way. Or name her your name and possibly listen to a life time of whining. I would go with the name you want. Tell your mil nicely that she already had her chance at naming her children,but this is your child and your chance. That you want to pick the name you like. Good luck.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:00 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I agree with the above. . . hun. . . it is your baby and she has no rights to name it. you and your hubby have to sign the birth certificate. . . she can not, therefore she has NO say. She is just trying to be a ruling Hen and tell you what you are naming your child. It is your choice! regardless, if you have told her once and then some there is nothing more you can do but stick to your guns and go on naming your baby what you have chosen to. Once it is certified it is certified. Sorry if I seem rough or rude. I am sure it is frustrating and hard on you. . . sometimes you just have to be brash to get the point across.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You can either correct her each and every time or just let it go and name her Isabela when you have her. If she is telling family that the baby's name is molly make sure you send some kind of announcement saying Isabela Rose is here so they know the correct name.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Let your husband talk to her and tell her that it means a lot to you to name the baby girl after your mother. We grandmas don't always know how these little "Suggestions" can upset people. She will adore her no matter what you name her. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 2:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Get a shirt made that says, "Isabela Rose's Grandma"
    maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I think your husband needs to sit his mom down and say "Mom, this is OUR baby and it is up to Sue and I to decide what to name her-- not you. WE picked a name that means a lot to us and we hope you will respect our choice. Please stop telling everyone we are naming the baby Molly because that is not the name we picked. Also when the baby is born we expect you to call her by her given name not a name of your choosing. If you can't do this then you may not be allowed around the baby."
    I hope your mil will stop telling tales, although she is going to look pretty foolish when people find out that you named the baby Isabella and not Molly! Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:28 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• dear everyone on here...thanks for all your help i had friends & family over for a early baby shower an told them in the invitation that "Isabela Rose" was gonna be here soon. everyone had things with Isabella's name on it except MIL. she had a $300 banket made somewhere that said in BIG letters "MOLLY" then she told everyone there that i was going to name it molly! an so they quickly left when she started yelling at my husband an i for saying "Isabella Rose" when it should have been Molly. i don't mind the name molly but i don't want my daughter to be "molly"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2010