Military families- Do you agree politically with the war in Iraq?

And why or why not? Just curious.

Bellarose0212

Asked by Bellarose0212 at 2:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I never did. When I was in the military, in 2002, I told my husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) while we were watching AFN that the US was going to go into Iraq no matter what the weapons inspectors find. It just seemed so obvious. Even after completing a 7 month deployment there, I did not agree with it. My husband has been deployed to Iraq five times. I still do not agree with it. I think there is a war for the sake of a war to keep the MIC going. A lot of people are getting very rich of those wars and it is not the troops.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My brother, a navy seal, just came back from Afghanistan, but was in Iraq before that. There was a time when I believed there was a purpose for the war in Iraq. I do still think there is a purpose, but it's all so complicated now. I just don' t think there's an easy answer. And I don't think this administration is even trying to win, based on the restrictions put on the special forces recently. I'm more convinced than ever that our men and women on the frontlines are just pons in a big game.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Yes I do, My husband is in the Air Force and my cousin was in the Army. My cousin was killed in Iraq. I agree with it because the Iraqi people were suffering under Saddam and the US could not lift the sanctions until that psycho was out of the picture. Also I agree with it because Iraq agreed then refused to cooperating fully with the investigations into WMD. Hans Blix (UNMOVIC) and Mohamed El-Baradei (IAEA) both agreed Iraq was not cooperating when it came to examination of scientists. If there was nothing why hold out? I still support it because those that are there or were know what we did helped.
    http://thepoliticalteen.com/video/gotohell.wmv
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I am not in a military family, but I do support what we are doing / did over in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

What really kind of worries me is who is there to save (or help) us if and when we need help getting out from under a regime like Saddam. I think the possibility of that happening to us is there, I am NOT saying it WILL happen, just that it COULD. And if it does, nobody has OUR back.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:51 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• 29 it's very likely that we ourselves would have to take up that battle.OP I am not military but have many family member/friends who are and some have been to Iraq all have been supportive.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Yes, I am a military mom. I very much agree. I am very proud of my family for their decision to serve. I am proud of our country for not rolling over and just taking what is thrown at us (unlike our apparent future if the Senate approves this nuke treaty). If fear for their safety, but not because we did anything. I hate we were put in the position to have to defend our homeland and way of life. I want us to win.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• the Iraqi people were suffering under Saddam and the US could not lift the sanctions
    **********

I don't disagree with this, but I have major issues with being lied to. If Bush had said this is man is committing genocide against these people we have a moral obligation to help them; fine great let's go help - but that's not what happened. The Iraqi people did not ask for help in the form of invasion & occupation; nor were we given the 'real' reason for why Bush wanted to go.

I support the men & women who's lives are placed at risk every day; I do not support the men or the policies that let those people be placed in danger on a lie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• There are days I curse the very existence of Iraq, but I agree with the PP who said the entire issue has gotten so complicated! I lost 2 cousins that I was very close with growing up, they were almost like my big brothers. One was Recon and was Killed in Action by a sniper, the other was EOD and he killed himself 2 weeks after we buried the first one, due to losing his brother and losing two of the Marines in his command a few days after he got back in country. Their youngest brother lost the majority of the muscle and skin on his right leg due to an IED blast over there as well. My husband and I have also lost lifelong friends , people we counted as family, and so now, it's my opinion that it doesn't matter why the initial reasoning is for having gone over there we need to let them finish the job and come home with their heads held high, give them that closure so to speak, or all the pain and loss will have been in vein.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:03 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

1. Saddam needed to be removed. He has the blood of hundreds of thousands on his hands. Only God knows what he would have done given additional opportunity......Hitler comes to mind.
    2. The US along with other nations used the best intel available at the time. Period. Just because nothing has been found doesn't mean it isn't there. One of my BIL's was in Iraq "1 & 2". He says things there are a million and one places to hide things and we will never fully explore/investigate all of what hides in the desert. Knowing him and his work, I believe him 100%.
    3. Regardless of anything else, there was the oil for food scandal that had to be halted.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:05 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My brothers, brother in law, and husband are military. Listening to their experiences in Iraq and how (despite the media) many Iraqi's are grateful to the US for freeing them of Saddam, I support their mission. I don't agree with the way the media has taken one single angle and focused on the negative aspects of war. There is a bigger picture.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 9, 2010