Breastmilk bad smelling??

Is breast milk supposed to smell bad after being refrigerated? I never deal with it but since I've started giving DS some cereal (yes I know he doesn't NEED it but I'd like him to get the hang of having some form of food before he gets regular food) I mix it with breast milk. I noticed tonight that it smell terrible!! Is it supposed to smell like sour cows milk? I'm ready to dump the 2 days worth that's in the fridge and thaw some from the freezer.... Please help I don't want to waste so much milk if I don't have to!

Jessie1689

Asked by Jessie1689 at 2:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• breast milk can sour too, i would dump it to be safe
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 2:34 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• If it smells sour it is. How long has it been in there? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html

Read about the Lipase at the above link as well.

Breast milk is good for 5 hours freshly pumped at room temp(actually, 10, but 5-5-5 is easier to remember), 5 days in the fridge and 5 months in the freezer.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 2:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• The milk I smelled tonight has only been in the fridge for 4 maybe 5 days! Though if I remember right I think it smells pretty weird when I pump too. I'll have to check tomorrow when I pump at work other wise it probably is Lipase which would suck since it would still have to be chilled while I'm at work till I can get home and scaled it.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 2:53 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Oh and according to my SO it's always smelled bad... maybe I just didn't notice it till now?
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 2:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Mine smelt like sour milk coming directly out of the tit. The smell can change depending on what you eat, too. However, if it smelt different than when you put it IN the fridge, I would toss it. If not, it's fine. I would usually gag when I would pump because it smelt gross to me...but then again formula smells gross, too...so whatever...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• thawed in the fridge for 4-5 days or fresh in the fridge for 4-5 days? It last longer fresh than thawed. Thawed should be used in 24 hours. fresh can be used in 4-5 days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Medela recommends only keeping breast milk in the fridge for 3 days. I've never kept milk past 3 days. Medela also recommends not keeping frozen milk longer than 3 months unless it's in a deep freeze.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• It's fresh in the fridge. I haven't had to thaw any out yet, I've been able to keep up with his needs to far. I'll check how it smells today when I pump. I honestly never smell it when I pump it usually goes right to the bag after I'm done.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2010