Anyone hate the stupid forum abbreviations as much as I do??

Seeing people refer to their families as "DH", "DS", "DD", or even more confusing "DSS" (stepson) etc just annoys the heck out of me. Someone told me it stands for "dear husband", "dear son" etc, which just sounds SO STUPID!!! Can you NOT just say "my husband"? I get that that is more letters to type, but come on!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yep
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I do not do that. I also do not use words like lol, roflmao, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• NIDBMAA.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Can you NOT just say "my husband

You can, but when you only have 940 characters to answer a question and the answer takes more than a few words, you have to economize. Regardless, those are not CM abbreviations, those are pretty much universal, and you'll find them on any message board where the majority of posters are parents, just like you'll see PWN IBL and BFG on any message board where the majority of posters are gamers. You can't change the entire internet or a culture that's existed long before there ever was an internet and computer communication was done on a BBS.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I dislike them as well.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I don't use them. I abbreviate, but I use the trad. abbr. when I need to so I save char.'s.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Sometimes I use them sometimes I don't. It doesn't really bother me either way...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• LOL TY for posting the Q. I had me ROFL! I showed it to DH and he was ROFL to. Some people are bother by the smallest things. Anyway TTFN!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• If something so trivial annoys you, you should not be on the net.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• OP here... wow, some of you ladies have your knickers in a twist :)

If it annoys you so much that the stupid abbreviations annoy me, maybe you shouldn't bother answering the question? But I forgot... it's your right to have an opinion. Huh... but it's not MY right??

I'm not trying to "change the internet"... and honestly things like "LOL" or "WTF" don't bother me... but WHO decided to refer to EVERY family member as "DEAR"?? It sounds so sarcastic to me. The only time I'D refer to my "dear son" is when he'd done something frustrating!

Personally though, I am a big fan of proper grammar, and it seems like I'm in the minority... I never seem to have trouble expressing myself without abbreviations... and with proper punctuation... boy those are big words... and I haven't run out of characters yet...

That's all I'm saying :)
    Anonymous